Express VPN Router Aircove Thoughts

I would like to know if anyone has purchased the express vpn router it does not get very good reviews. I have a Netgear ax1800 that is less than one year old and I hate to get rid of it but if have a router to accept a vpn and it’s better that way I will definitely change.

Is there a reason why you was looking at the express router? Just wondering because I don’t think I’d like being stuck with one service vs using a router I could use with any service I choose.

1 Like

I was thinking about last night Sledgehammer and your right being tied down to one vpn is not a good idea. My biggest reason was not have to worry of adding apps to everything.

1 Like

I currently use an Asus ROG rapture 11000. I get between 350-400mbps with surfshark via wireguard. If you do decide to use a router I recommend not going cheap. Cheaper routers= slower processor= slower speed is a general rule.

I have a Netgear ax6700 with Wi-Fi 6 I purchased last year I really don’t want to purchase another one right now but with everything going on I might just do it. I heard Asus makes good routers .

1 Like

Yes if you decide to go that route an Asus router that is compatible with Merlin firmware is the way to go 100%

Any specific model Sledgehammer?

I live in a small apartment so it really doesn’t need to be crazy.

RT-AX86U with merlin is a game changer. …and stock firmware might be all you need as they have improved on that.

I saw it aAmazon just now it might be a little over kill for a small apartment. They have it for sale for 199.00 .

This is a good deal and should handle the apartment/

Thanks TXRON have to wait for S.S. Check next week

TXRON the Netgear I have now is a 6 and 6e would I be going down as far as connection speed.

You would think that was plenty router for an apartment. Is it capable of running a vpn?

edit…6e is the newest until 7

Hey guys, looking at some of these nicer routers . Why do some of them offer the router and then have a choice to buy router and wireless router ? Arent they all wireless > Thanks

There are some routers that do not have WiFi radios and only have Ethernet.

Thanks so much ! So this one apparently has wifi correct ? ASUS RT-AX86U Pro (AX5700) Dual Band WiFi 6 Extendable Gaming Router

It says so in the description you posted, and a rather good one as well. Gaming routers are often a bit more expensive but also have superior tech for lag reduction, an obvious necessity when playing on line games. Long long ago it was exceedingly difficult to react, in time, in order to say “save” your character in a FPS, let alone a multiplayer game, because of lag. There are those on here who are good with knowing specs and how they can help you. My question is what exactly do you want in a router? Where will you use it? How will you use it?

Thanks again. I have no need for gaming at all. I do want a superior router for streaming , not just an average one. I currently have the Eero 6e provided by my isp.

I agree, I use Express VPN on it, dedicated router, never any issues, great range and fast