Expanding Internal Storage

I think you should be able to select the download location depending on what app you’re using. Trial and error is all I can say. My setup is different. After downloading something use X-plore or ES File Explorer to double check the drive it’s on and make sure it plays.

4 Likes

Okay, thanks. I will give x-plore a try after fidiling with it.

2 Likes

Sometimes less is more. I’ve been planning on expanding my external storage and this post started me thinking and you’re absolutely right.

I just set up Syncler with my Tivimate account and in conjunction with Real-debrid it’s all I need. If I decide that I’d like to have a copy of a movie or tv show I watched, Real-debrid stores a download link in your account. It takes a few minutes to download to my computer and I have a file which I can play on Firestick, Roku or any other device.

If the file is too large for fat32 (4gb I believe) you can easily split the file with software such as Quicktime. The whole movie then plays seamlessly.

Thanks for the enlightenment!

2 Likes

Yes mate I’ve tried . I can’t remember exactly what it was now but there was a stage where you couldn’t go any further in the process .

Anyway I’m intrigued what you mean about people not really needing to ?
I’ve got rid of all the Amazon Bloatware , leaving only the absolutely necessary apps on it , clear cache , make sure I do my maintenance on a regular basis and force close the apps after use so I don’t think there’s much more I can do .

Having said that my Xanax build has finally given up the ghost so I reckon getting rid of that May free up space . But what to replace it with is my problem now . Kodi Dinosaur here :blush:

I mean exactly what I said. Idk what other way to put it. My firestick setup in my bedroom never gives me any issues with running out of space. I detailed it above. If I were you, I’d completely uninstall Kodi and make sure there’s no traces of it left by going through Xplore or ES File Explorer or whatever and deleting the folders. Then re-download just plain Kodi. Follow the instructions to install The Crew add-on and sync it with real-debrid. See if that solves your problems. I’ve also made the following videos for tips on setting up The Crew and Tivimate.

The Crew

Tivimate

2 Likes

Also depends on how many apps you consider “absolutely necessary”. How many do you have, and how much space do they take up in total? You have to go through the firestick settings and manage apps to see how much space each one takes up.

1 Like

@Jayhawks659 Hi! I appreciate your postings and advice you put out here on the TP Insider universe… and this Kodi thread caught my eye. For years, I stayed on top of updating and deleting my builds and Addons to have the best experience, but got lazy last year and eventually broke up with kodi and just used apks and torrents, lol. I’ve been meaning to start back up again, but not with all of the crazy builds, etc.
I’m curious to know what single addon you prefer/recommend when you go to Kodi? And Do you use the latest version (19?) or are you staying with a previous (17, 18?)
Any suggestions would be appreciated, I trust your judgment!

2 Likes

Thank you for the compliment. Currently I just use The Crew add-on. I have used others in the past, but with real-debrid I’ve found that you only really need one that works well. I also posted a video on here somewhere that goes over how to configure the settings for the best experience. Currently I’m running Kodi 19.1 but I’m pretty sure the crew still works on 19.2. I just haven’t bothered to update yet.

3 Likes

@Jayhawks659
The Crew works on 19.2, no buffering

2 Likes

Just a brief suggestion for those who Do want to download and record and later view from storage.
Your video storage does not have to be on your firestick or any other streaming device.
There is a free server / client app called PLEX (and others I am sure)
that will let you record on your computer with potentially Terabytes of inexpensive live storage and play back through your firestick or other streaming device via your in home WiFi network.
Plex clients are available for most streaming devices.
Yes, they will try hard to sell you stuff, but the App is still free to download and use with your own server on a home computer or NAS device.
Mike L.

Good point. I wasn’t about to write a guide on all that though lol. The downside to doing that on a computer is that you have to leave it running 24/7. You can do a standalone device, but that’s going to cost money. Sometimes if you have a good router with USB port that’s the best way to go. But it’s not always straightforward setting it up.

2 Likes

I agree with you 100% I think everyone should have a Plex Media Server for the main purpose of storing family videos, photos, and favorite movies and TV shows. We use ours all the time. Here is my guide. Plex Media Server Setup Guide for 2021 - A Beginners Guide

5 Likes

I never even thought about photos!

1 Like

So much of what we do on our phones with videos and pics and Plex is a great way to store it and provides great way to play back on big screen.

3 Likes

i need it to record from tivimate

Troypoint has a great video on setting up X-Plore to save videos, and to save your Tivimate settings and data. What’s great about the restore feature on the Tivimate is you only need to set up one TV and then you can use X-Plore file to replicate that setup on all the devices you have Tivimate on.

5 Likes

This post is intended for those who find there way here looking for away to expand storage capacity on their Firestick 4k. As always, you can take it or leave it. It’s your decision.
Perhaps you viewed @TROYPOINT video on the topic or perhaps your having other issues that are causing your experience to be less than your expectations. This post intent isn’t to offend or keep you from determining what you want to do, but to merely point out some things to consider first.
Before trying to expand storage capacity on your Firestick 4k, I think it’s important to ask yourself why you want to do this. Is it to try it to see if you can get it to work or do you really want and need extra space on my Firestick.
If your answer is the latter, perhaps a comment from Troy himself that he posted Oct. 29th might get you thinking about doing this:

“….Guys, I show that video because there are a lot of people that want to do it but if you are serious about having more storage of apps, I would suggest getting a device that has more internal storage. Yes, the process will work for most people but there are some things that will come up from time to time and power is one of them. So is trying to update apps that are residing on internal storage. I haven’t had any power problems with the SanDisk 3.0 USB drives. But, I personally only use approximately 6 applications on a regular basis, TiviMate, Syncler, YouTube, IPVanish, Kodi, and Plex. I don’t need anything else. So, I don’t need the extra storage for apps. The Fire TV Cube has 16GB of storage and so does the NVIDIA Shield TV Pro. BuzzTV XRS 4900 has 128! There’s a reason why the Firesticks are so cheap and the internal storage is one of those reasons, not enough. It’s too bad that Amazon wouldn’t add an additional 8 to their Firesticks as that would make a big difference.”

There are a lot of friendly, nice, and helpful people on here, who are knowledgeable and willing to help, that’s what makes this a great forum. Perhaps thinking about what and why you are wanting to do something to begin with, will ultimately lead you to getting the experience you want with less frustration, which is why you started cordcutting and following Troy at @TROYPOINT.
Just my two cents.

5 Likes