Ethernet port 100 mbps max

I have two pretty quality devices,Sony Bravia tv and Sonos beam soundbar,they both have Ethernet net ports,but both max out at 100 mbps.Seems like a waste to hardwire either when they both get well over 500 mbps from WiFi.Any input appreciated.

It’s been said many, many, times that 100MBs down is more than enough for any single device to stream even 8K if you have the equipment that can handle it. This doesn’t mean you’re whole system is reduced, but just this single device. In future if 1GBs down is necessary for you as in the case of gaming or large file transfers then use that knowledge to check the specs of devices you buy. My main streamer is ethernet wired and this leaves the bulk of my bandwidth for WiFi enabled devices like phones and tablets that use that, and in my household there are more devices using WiFi than streaming devices using Ethernet.

3 Likes

Love my shield, Like you my main Streaming device is wired, and I get almost 800 Mbps

2 Likes

5-6 years ago it was all about Ethernet but with the growth of stable high speed Fiber now Wifi is King if you have good service. When I first started streaming I was on a Firestick with an Ethernet Adapter but now I’m on AT&T Fiber getting close to 400MB over Wifi

2 Likes

If you want more Mb or Gb you can check to see if your TV is compatible with the USB port to ethernet and purchase the adapter it will up your MG over 100 but it’s best to find out if it works for your model first not all work. I use ethernet at night so I don’t have the Wi-Fi buzzing through my brain before I sleep. EMFs yuck. = Sleep problems. Hope I’ve helped

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: :warning: Forum Rules & Regulations

Well, ethernet is generally more reliable than WiFi, so that’s probably the primary reason for using it.

And Ethernet isn’t prone to radio interference from everything like microwaves and cb radios, cell towers, Police radios, Cab radios and if a multi tennant environment a channel overwhelmed by having to many ppl on it causing interference. Hopefully they can get WiFi 6 and 6e bugs sorted.

They did. Its called WiFi 7. :slight_smile:

AT&T just upgraded my old 2WIRE service (copper) to fiber optic. Now my download speed is running just under 400 Gbps…

1 Like

While I generally use my hardwired Shield or ATV 4K, I removed the LAN cable on my LG OLED and switched to WIFI, not that 100Mb doesn’t work good enuff for streaming, just figured I would take advantage for higher speed Wifi connection.

As Miki has said, 100 mbs download speed is more than adequate for your LAN cable connection for streaming. That said, a more important issue for your tv is the amount of memory you can allocate for your streaming apps and streaming itself. My son has a Sony Bravia smart tv of excellent quality running off Android TV but it has less than 4 gbs of internal memory, which results in lots of time to download and play on some streaming apps outside of the included premium service apps. There is also more buffering. To solve that issue, it is best to use a separate hdmi connected streaming box with your preferred IPTV and vpn services. You will find much reduced times for downloading and playing your streaming apps in addition to not maxing out your smart tv’s internal memory.

I agree completely with @sim_bill . Yes TV’s boast that they can do everything your streamer can, but really, do you believe that? They’re in the business of selling TVs. Now a streaming device can carry the full load of the “thinking” and let your TV do what it does best, show you a picture. These days you have choices in the $20-400 range for streamers that will do everything you want. One important thing to consider as well. Troypoint and the insider has literally thousands upon thousands of “FREE” techies to answer every question you have, help you make the right decisions and save you money. It’s what we do best and what we love. I doubt the TV suppliers can boast that.

Cat5 ethernet cable is limited to 100Mb speed. If you want more, switch your cat5 cable to Cat6. This includes any jumpers you may have. I did the same thing. My modem was putting out 300Mb and that’s what I wanted out to my streaming device. Good luck.

Cat5 is old. Cat5e can support network operating speeds of 10Mbps, 100Mbps or 1000Mbps. The gigabit rates are the maximum speed for Cat5e cable.

VERIFIED by my recent upgrade to Cat 7 - I tested some of my existing cat5e runs and they are still good at 1000mbps. I have a few that are HARD to get to to replace so im leaving them for now.

I agree with you on the EMF’s, especially 5G and only use WIFI where there is NO other option.