Don’t Like Roku

I have a Chromecast 2000, ONN 4K & Firestick 4K.
Swore that I’d never get a Roku. Now I’m switching to Spectrum and they’re telling me to get a Roku. I transferred their app from my phone to my Androids and it’s written for phones, won’t work on TV. Can’t understand why Spectrum would lock themselves into a closed ecosystem. If I can get the Roku app on my firestick or androids will it work? I found a couple of articles saying Roku has a developer option. If I can get a file manager on it, confident i can copy the app. Am I waisting my time? Will it work on another device? Thanks in advance for you response.

Not worth the fight. Its a closed system with occasional hacks that will be patched.

3 Likes

when i had slower internet 10mps i used roku for netflx hulu and prime they will run with 3 or 4 mps with no buffering but now with higher speeds i use fire cube

1 Like

same here. I have 2 roku tv’s mainly because I like the tv interface with antenna channels but when I used roku as my streamer it was flawless and just worked at low bandwidth. Downside to roku is the closed system.

2 Likes

Roku was the bomb when I first cut the cord. Then I found this place lol

2 Likes

You cant use roku on non roku units. You are at there mercy. Same as firestick locks.

I still love my roku tv’s for my antenna tv. I actually spend more time watching antenna tv during the day and around 5pm I will switch over to my stream box for a movie, baseball or my all time fav the ID channel :crazy_face: :woozy_face:…cant help it I have issues :thinking:

1 Like

Roku is a great setup, don’t get me wrong. But unfortunately some of the things we use can’t be done through there…like our Apple TV 4K…some things can’t be run

2 Likes

I’ve side loaded apps on the firestick. Apps work fine.

… yes i know. Firestick is stil locked frimware. Roku is worse cant even sideload apps.

1 Like

I got a Roku when I started to stream but found out it’s limitations early on. It is a closed system which won’t allow you to download open source apps for either streaming or utilities so I ditched it after a few months. Open android or android tv boxes are the way to go as long as you get a box with adequate RAM, (4gb), internal memory, (32gb), and heat management with a good sized heat sink over the processor. Don’t settle for any cheap box that doesn’t meet these standards, as they won’t last long.

1 Like

You need a Roku device and the spectrum app unless you want to rent a Spectrum TV box every month! Be warned, though, its a slow as molasses!

Roku is like Apple . For get 3rd party apps .

Yea don’t waste your time with Roku devices. See this - https://troypoint.com/roku-vs-firestick/

2 Likes

I do have to give Roku some credit. The install was simple. It even knew I have a Visio TV and configured itself. Other people could learn from the Rokus effortless install. I picked the Express 4K+ since it was on sale for $29.99 Connected my Wechip W3 air mouse/keyboard and doesn’t appear to be working.

1 Like

I’m the same as you. We only have ROKU TVs in our house and it’s solely for the interface , antenna/ live tv & the ability to let you boot up to a specific HDMI port on startup. Other than that we use Zero Roku apps. All 3 HDMI ports have a customized android streaming device on them .

Pretty much same here. I just like the roku tv way of doing things. I also do installs of boxes for seniors in my area and if asked I tell them to get a roku tv if possible. That way with a set of rabbit ears and internet goes down they still can easily switch to ota until the internet comes back up or I can repair the box. Lets just say the roku tv is very versatile and easy to operate.

1 Like

I’m doing the same as you. I’m doing hookups in all the retirement communities out here lol

2 Likes

Yep I had a gentleman last night tell me I dont know what you did but all my news channels have been wiped out. I said JJ I havent been anywhere near your tv, how could it be me?>
I told him I would check it out but most likely its just a loose nut on the remote…he smiled. …and as usual he had some how hit the drop down on tivimate that closed the view of his groups. Fixed in under 30 seconds…while he grabbed a beer.

1 Like

Nothing worse than doing a hookup at a house with Internet speeds under 10mbps :person_facepalming: they keep calling you saying tv service isn’t working . I’d have to go to their house and show them their speeds using analiti app then connect their device to my phone’s hotspot and show them …yes it works . I had one elderly lady using Hughes internet with speeds averaging 3mbps :person_facepalming: what a nightmare

1 Like