Does Running VPN on 1 Device Protect All Devices on Network?

I have a fire TV I am running IPVanish, no problem. My daughter has her own firestick she plugs in with her stuff. She also uses IPVanish as her VPN. My question is, if I have IpVanish ruuning from my Fire TV app does she still need to run IPVanish on her firestick also?

If you’re using a stick plugged into the hdmi port on your tv and sourcing your stream from it, then you are bypassing your TV apps so I don’t think the VPN would activate or block a stream from the stick. So I am quite sure you will need to make sure when using your tv the vpn is on on the TV and when using your stick as the source then your vpn on it must be active.
Now I’m not entirely sure what model your FireTV is but I do know the ultimate goal of the manufacturers is to have you use your FireTV the same as you use your Max stick, thus eliminating the need for external streaming devices. Not sure they’re there yet.

1 Like

Any individual device that accesses your internet will need an IPVanish app on it (and connected) to encrypt the data. The only way this isnt true, is if you have the VPN installed in your router, then everything in your house that connects to that router will be encrypted.

4 Likes

One of those things that using the search would help you answer. Only a vpn at the router like mentioed above will give you that.

I have IPV installed on my router. Could someone explain how I can remove it and then install a different VPN like this surfshark that is recommended? Looking to get a better price and operation for my household use.

Start here

Thank-you very much sir!