Does Cord Cutting Cost More Than Cable TV? We Breakdown The Numbers

How is Amazon prime $7/month? It’s more $14/month

1 Like

I applied for the senior discount a few years ago. Tbh, I didn’t think I would get it because it is based on income, but I have a feeling if you are retired and only submit your SS as your income then that is how I got in. …dunno, but ain’t gonna buck the tiger’s odds.

Got the $30 discount for my Internet service, too just recently.

1 Like

How do you get those services $0 I would love to know what I am missing out on lol

I’m guessing @Powerfader is referring to the fact that some IPTV services have the channels of those services included, so he wouldnt need a separate payment to get them individually.

1 Like

Any decent provider will have some, if not all, of those included in their services.

1 Like

I was paying $134/month for cable TV. I switched to IPTV FEB-21. Today, I use three verified IPTV vendors for redundancy. From FEB-21 to MAR-23 I have paid $678 for those IPTV subscriptions. That’s $27.12/month for IPTV services.

The total cost is $1,128 which includes three Android TV devices. That is $45.12/month for the 25 months since I switched to IPTV. For $2,222 savings over 25 months.

One big plus from using these IPTV services is the ability to watch shows/movies not accessible from our Prime or Netflix services.

I pay $110 a month at one home for Spectrum cable TV and internet (but that will likely double after the 2 the year “introductory” period). I can not get any OTA stations at this location.

I pay $75 a month at my other home for cable internet only and I have a rather large attic antenna for 40+ local stations. I use Stremio, BeeTV, Filmplus, LivenetTV, TVmob and Kodi at both locations.

If I were doing this with verified streaming services, I be paying a heck of a lot more.

To me, “Cutting the Cord” only makes sense if you use unverified sources.

3 Likes

TMobile Home Internet - $45/Month.
2 IPTV Services - $45 every 3 months.
RealDebrid - $10 every 3 months…only use for KODI 4K streaming.

i get ANY and EVERY channel you can think of…AND then some!..screw you ACE & MPA!

1 Like

I pay less than $100 a month for ALL electronic medias, i.e. internet, verified streaming content, iptv services, and phone.

2 Likes

I think its slanted to include the cost of internet into the equation. When I had cable years ago, I still had internet. Its been a basic necessity in households for years…

3 Likes

I should get rid of my cell phone that I rarely use and go back to what I used for a phone way back in 2007. That alone would save me a ton of money!

3 Likes

HaHa!! We still have the magicjack, 90% of the calls received on it are robocalls…finally decided not to renew it when it expires…it was useful at one time as we live in a rural area

1 Like

how true we still had internet when we were paying 200 a month for directv.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi to Powerfader and Steve Vee. Re: ACP. I live with my adult son who has one of the benefits that qualify our household. We have Verizon Fios, which was $85/mo for just internet. We had recently started paying automatically, which saved us $10/mo. When we got the ACP, it saved $30/mo. We then got another savings program called Verizon Forward which made our internet bill $0/mo! I was so amazed. We gave up cable to save many years ago as we both live mostly on disability. We originallyused Graboid($20/mo), then Kodi and some other free internet things.I kept trying to learn all of the ways to save. We only have Netflix, Prime, Discovery+ on Prime, and free Hulu, and Gaia. We have had IPTV on and off for sports and one channel my son likes a lot plus VPN.

I do not know anything about the ACP for seniors, can you explain how to get approved for it? Is it income based or benefit based, or is it just having SS(not SSI)? I may need it sometime and some friends  might want it.

I had an Nvidia Shield that was bricked when Plex did an update. I lost a Vizio smart TV to an update too. I also had a Minix Neo first for a few years. I am now on my 3rd Dynalink that Amazon was selling while everyone was waiting for the latest Onn TV box. Also an X95 a few years ago. I bought some of these in 2's for our other TV, not a smart tv.

This is a nice helpful community. Thanks for accepting me.
3 Likes

The deal I got from Spectrum was based on income and or benefits. Where I live Social Security is not counted as income. However, if you are on SSI then you will definitely qualify.

Spectrum had a simple little dorm to fill out on their website. Took me all of a couple of minutes to fill it out and they emailed me back in the same day that I qualified.

Tbh, I believe this is a government backed program and these companies are getting reimbursed. Therefore, I really don’t think the companies care and will qualify almost everyone.

1 Like

Thank you Powerfader for sharing about this. I appreciate it. I am on SSD and so is son because I am. He is what got us qualified. He has Medicaid. I had to go to the govt ACP site first to get a number, then back to Verizon Fios for the rest. It took about 3 days of being switched around. They wanted me to upgrade to like 900 mbps and pay some but I stuck to my guns at 300 because we had been fine at only 100 before I applied. It ended up at 0 cost.

4 Likes

The beauty of cord cutting is eliminating all those superfluous fees (Regional Sports, etc.) and taxes that cable companies add to your bill.

1 Like

what is discord and can you pm me? I am here this morning trying to figure out how to economically do streams in a house with 4 tv’s. How fortuitous that I read your post.