Deciphering torrent naming conventions

Edited to provide a bit more explanation. Added.

I mostly use the Cinema app to select and view content. In some cases, the app provides me dozens of potential selections. From 4K down to normal SD. I also use REAL DEBRID to gain access to better servers. I really like that service. I want to be able to select from the RD content with already synched subtitles (in English). There seems to be no way to know or select the proper one without playing it for 30 seconds or so to determine if the subtitles are “on” and synched. When I do not find one, I have to keep going back to another selection until I find one that works. That is my dilemma. Is there any help for this? Thanks

Original question:

How can I easily understand the way filenames are constructed? I see many similar names for a movie or show. I do not understand some of the terms. DEB for instance. MKV as another. What I really want to know is if there is some special word or character that tells me the subtitles have been added and are working. At my age, it gets harder to understand some spoken language and I need a good subtitle to enhance my viewing.

MKV is a type of video package or container. Mastroca
DEB stands for Debrid, a pay service providing premium files and excellent servers.
I’m not sure there is a complete dictionary of acronyms or shortcuts but if you google them you should be able to find them. It simply takes time to learn everything. As for your subtitles I use the Stremio app for my hearing impaired customers and then be sure the “OpenSubtitles” addon is installed under the “official” addon section. This places subs on everything, even the English.

1 Like

Agreed with @Miki . Most of the other names tell you how something was encoded for video and audio, the size and resolution of the video. Actually, Troy has a YouTube video that shows how to rip DVDs and BlueRay discs where there’s a pretty good breakdown and explanation of what a lot of that stuff means. But mostly, from a user standpoint, you just need to have a video player (MX, VLC, etc) that has the correct audio and video codecs for the encryption type used. Troy likes to recommend MX Player, but that’s prefer VLC personally.

So basically, there’s the overall file size and file type that matters, and generically speaking, the larger the file size, the higher the quality. And based on your TV or device that you’re playing the video on, the difference in a lot of videos won’t even be apparent anyway.

Here’s the link to Troy’s video that I was talking about.

Troypoint How to Rip 4K UHD Blu-Ray

1 Like

I will check into the Stremio app. Thanks. Not sure if it has the amount of content that I find in Cinema app.

Thank you. I watched that video and will def use it for ripping my own personal copy of my owned DVDs. Great recommendation.

It has all the content in Stremio that Cinema has and much more. Similar to Kodi it’s all about the addons.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.