Cord cutting problems

I guess I could add one more comment about Mecool. I had purchased 4 KM3’s and 1 KM-2. I got tired on working around the KM-2 memory problems, so I ordered another KM-3. I had bought all the other KM-3’s through Amazon, but the last one I ordered directly from Mecool. I expected the normal 3 week delivery schedule. I was pleasantly surprised when it arrive in only 1 week. It was shipped from some where in NJ, USA. The problem was it was a piece of junk. It actually came in 2 parts. The top was disconnected from the rest and was slightly warped from what looked like heat damage. The Wifi did not work at all. The Ethernet worked sorta. The memory would loose 1/2 of its content when turned off.

I took a bunch of pictures and sent a long detailed message to the Mecool service department and requested a replacement. They said sure, send it back to China and we will check it out, and if was defective we would replace it. I told them I received it from NJ,USA and I would send it back there. They replied NO. There only service center was in China. Well, I checked, and it would cost more to send it back to China that I paid for it.

I sent another long e-mail basically saying that any service tech would throw this item in the trash as soon as they opened the box. The pictures alone proved it was junk. I said their request was therefore unreasonable. I said I would no longer argue with them, and I would dispute the charge on my credit card, and would provide all my documentation to the Credit Card company.

The next day, Mecool said the replacement was in the mail. When I received it, it worked great. From now now I will use Amazon for these type purchases. It may cost a few $ more, but the absolutely no hassle return policy is worth it. I like the Mecool products, but never direct from them again

Sorry for the long rant.

3 Likes

The KM-2 is not a bad device. It does exactly what it was designed to do. The only problem is, it’s design specs may or may not align with what you need. If you know the specs of what you need, and you carefully read the spec sheets of all Mecool devices you can eventually figure out which Mecool device is best for you. Other than the spec sheets, Mecool does not help you in that selection.

I used the KM2 for exactly one week and threw it in the junk pile where it belongs. The remote sucks and can’t do the things I needed it to do like control multiple devices at the same time, unlike the Firestick remotes. Mine sits in electronic purgatory.

i was paying dish at both my cabin and home — about 140 a month each place dumping dish for streaming saved me a ton of month i use a cheap iptv service kodi with real debrid and a lot of the free m3u files i have 50 mps at cabin and everything streams fine at home we are using starlink for a month now and its a great service between 125 to 280 mps i used thier adpator and feed the ethernet wiring in the house where we had things hardwired and it works well
i am using mostly firecubes anymore i find the sticks a bit too small i do have a nvida shield on one tv the issue with that is google deletes things a bit annoying the cubes also do a better job controling my sound systam than nvida

1 Like

Did you you turn off the play protect on the Play store and notifications and do not allow updates all on the shield then you should not loose anymore apps from your shield

1 Like
1 Like

yes i have play protect off but i still have issues i do let the shield update i dont like being several updates behind my shield is the 2017 so keeping it update is important to me but i dont have the issues with my cubes
the 2017 nvidia remote is difficult for anyone not used to it – ie guests ** where as the cubes remote is easy to use i just like the firecubes a lot

prior to moving to starlink i had to use a vpn to use downloader century link would block it here locally the vpn got me around it but as streaming grows the big tech is looking for ways to shut us all down

1 Like

I’m jealous really. Starlink looks to be such a great service. As always, ppl will find a way to get what they want. Someone eventually figures out how.

if anything I can say good about amazon its customer service and returns. Generally they refund me before they even get the product back :+1:

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, it was the mecool km2 device that Troy introduced in a video. That was what caught my eye for a better streaming device. I am very satisfied with the end results the device has accomplished. I really appreciate how I can add different apps and, they go straight to the added memory on hand.

Do you use a vpn with starlink?

for some things for general internet useage no
intersting that starlink shows up as washington dc as my location

Didn’t Starlink just loose a whole bunch of satellites?

Anyway, this Starlink, inho, is going to be a game changer for a lot of streamer in the near future

1 Like

Yup. They launched 49 I think it was, then a geomagnetic storm interfered with their programming and 40 of them will reenter the atmosphere and burn up.

it didnt affect my service

1 Like

Yes, I recently cut the cord and I am now looking to upgrade from my firestick 4k max to a Mecool box for more RAM and internal storage space (I can not play movies over 5-10 GB without buffering even with my 100 GB internet speed).

I looked at the Mecool site and had a tough time figuring out how to rank the 10 or so different boxes they have. For example I have no idea if the KM3 is better or worse than the KM7. They look the same to me (4 GB RAM and 64 GB storage).

So some type of ranking and brief reasoning or pro and con would be great.

I would recommend that you do a lot more research before spending any money on a new box. Troy has just done a review on the ugoos box and has done other’s do a search on the top of the page and find a lot of info from Troy and everyone else here. It depends on what you want to do with the box and your budget. I have been using a Nvidia shield for years and it’s been fantastic . Easy to setup and use very dependable great speed and picture. I like a lot of people here and starting to use and experiment with the ugoos boxes which so far have been incredible all around . So before you decide on a box do some more research on the ugoos and Nvidia shield which in my opinion are both top of the line boxes. Hopefully this helps and read some of the latest post from everyone else here before you make a decision on just one box. Stream on and enjoy the ride :v::grin:https://troypoint.com/ugoos-am7-android-tv-box-review/

3 Likes

I second @Bigrich. Please look at all your options. I have a Mecool KM2 that I used for 1 week and it now sits in electronic purgatory. I would love to have a Ugoos. But research is key.

3 Likes

Buy your own WiFi router and save money. You can get a good one online or at Walmart. I have Spectrum & have high speed internet with no data caps & they give you a free modem’. When I cut the cable it was $44.99 a month back in 2017. Now it’s $74.99. But I have my Firestick & APK’s & with Troypoint for the last 5 years I have been all set!

3 Likes