Can't Install Proton VPN on Firestick

I am unable to add Proton VPN to my Firestick. It shows my Firestick is not compatible. I have the same problem with other VPN downloads from the Amazon app store. I have also tried using Downloader to add Proton VPN without success. I have 3 Firesticks and all are updated. Any help is appreciated.

Try to find the Proton VPN APK file and download and side load it.

I did. I tried all updates from 2021 to 2024 without success using Downloader

How to use Proton VPN on an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick.

VPNs aren’t compatible with the first generation of Fire TV Stick. VPNs work on second- and third-generation Fire TV Sticks as well as the Fire TV Stick 4K and 4K Max.

Thanks Mike!
Interesting though because I had it on my Firsticks previously and for over 2 years then earlier this month is when I started receiving a message telling me of the incompatibility when attempting to sign in.

Any suggestions on a VPN that does work or does your above statement apply to all VPN’s?

Thanks again!

As info, I still have working Proton VPN apps on my IPhone and IPad which makes it more frustrating.

sounds to me the issue is the firestick and not the vpn. imho

Thanks Ron!

Thinking Mike’s comment is accurate. Proton worked on all three Firesticks so thinking when Amazon started their recent updates they made adjustments removing access to free VPN’s.

1 Like

I’ve had Proton on fireticks for the last 4 yrs and just renewed for another 2. I suggest contacting them. They’re customer service responds to tickets very well. Nothing illegal about owning a Firestick or having a VPN on it.

I replied to your first post - source for my comment below.
Not sure why working VPN stopped working for you.

Thanks to all who responded! Much appreciated!

Amazon and google are blocking non Amazon and google apps
Got tired of it and downloaded the new kodi with the xenon build
You can download proton inside it
If you fallow troypoint video to download kodi, you will find you can get rid of the Amazon, google crap

Google isn’t blocking any 3rd party apps. On my Shield Pro I have play protect and their app scanning turned off. It’s your choice.

Buy Surfshark through Troypoint. It’s inexpensive and works great. Good discounts through Troypoint.

Have you tried downloading from Github

I have. Went from 2021-2024 and tried each update. Per Proton VPN, you now must have OS 6 in order to download. I do not.

Are you still using Fire OS 5? In tech developement terms that’s like using a floppy disc and trying to load a 4K movie onto it. It won’t just be Proton that won’t work as developers are coding apps for the newer OS’s. At around $30-50 for a new Firestick I would recommend that you consider getting something newer. Not only for security reasons but compatibility issues as well.

Thanks Miki! I just upgraded all 3 Firesticks this weekend. Appreciate the advice!

1 Like

I have a 1st generation fire stick 2K (not a max) that I installed proton VPN from the amazon app store last week. Works great. Make sure you force quit your existing VPN before you install or it won’t install. With regards to 1st gen not supporting VPN’s - I have installed and successfully used VPN apps from 3 different providers for numerous years on 1st gen firesticks of all types.