Can't get Kodi to read xbmc_env.properties on ONN box running Android 12

Hey guys,

I finally got an Onn box from Walmart. I downloaded and installed Kodi but with all the Android permissions, I have had to move the data to a writeable place in order to restore my build settings.

I placed the file at the root of the box as instructed on Kodi’s wiki and copied my files to the location specified in the file. When I launch Kodi, it loads as a brand new install as if it didn’t find the file in the location it was expecting.

Curious if anyone has run into this before and might have a workaround or possibly have some other options I can try to get this working.

I run this same setup on my BuzzTv running Android 11 and haven’t run into this issue so I am wondering if Android 12 has managed to make things increasingly difficult.

Still looking for any help at all if anyone knows anything.

1 Like

I will give this a shot. Thank you for the suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried the backup script and it looks like the backup can’t be restored to the default Kodi directory. I am back to where I started, unfortunately. Kodi doesn’t seem to recognize the xbmc_env.properties file is in the root directory of the device. So Kodi won’t run from an alternative (writeable) location where I can sync my customizations.

Maybe it’s just a lost cause at this point and Android 12 just isn’t worth the frustration.

Why not just reinstall Kodi and a few addons? You really shouldnt run a full build on these lightweight boxes and sticks anyway. It would be nice to keep your settings and stuff, I get it, but it doesn’t take that long to put back together.

I agree. A lean install would absolutely be fine with me.

This process I have been going through with trying to keep my settings has shed light on the fact that I can’t install anything in Kodi at all.

I tried to install a “light” build and got an error, I tried installing a single add-on and got an error.

This is why I am pretty sure the issue is that the permissions are locked down so tight in that data directory that the only option is to try and run Kodi from a different location using the xbmc_env.properties file. But of course, as with my subject of this post, even that seems to not be working either.

I did try to reach out to Kodi development on their IRC channel but that didn’t yield any results either.

Also to answer your question directly, I reinstalled Kodi a bunch of times as well as did things in a few different orders but nothing worked. When explaining about the errors I was getting with installing a build or even a single add-on, this was after freshly installing Kodi for the nth time :smile:

Have you tried factory resetting the box first and then try Kodi/add-ons? Not sure what is going on, but maybe the factory reset would allow you to start 100% fresh.

I have not tried that. I will give that a shot when I get a moment today and let you know how it goes. I definitely have rebooted a couple of times but didn’t think to factory reset.

I was able to get things up and running. Thank you :+1: for the suggestion to factory reset. While it didn’t actually solve my problem, I did notice other apps were behaving differently (better) than they were before.

I discovered the initial Kodi permission set for Files and Media was Allow access to media only but I needed to go into the app settings and change the permission to Allow management of all files .

This is what finally did it for me.

1 Like