Canadians using Cogeco

Anyone here in Canada that is using a Hitron modem, you can get a Sagemcom that has fiber/cox capabilities with Wifi 6, no need for a router. I haven’t got mine yet, as im so tired of this hitron issues im having, but when i do i will be fully testing. This means you dont need a wifi 6 router or need to bridge your modem. You can also control it with the app now and it works with the pods. They tell me the pods are wifi 6 enabled as well.

Sagemcom Fast modem Specs

Looks like a pretty hot gateway :fire: Hope it runs cool tho :sunglasses:

Nice specs :+1:

1 Like

So, i finally got it hooked up, and it’s wifi 6 enabled no need for a router, 2.4 and 5 as well. They even gave me a free iptv epico box that has google tv on it, ima see if i can side load on it. You can put anything on it from the store so im going to try my hands on side loading. But the modem is pretty dang good.

2 Likes

Did you have to pay more for the new modem, or did they upgrade you for free?

No, no extra cost for me. But id call them for info and ask for it. Typically they wont charge for loyalty customers.

Update:

I have wifi 6 going on the modem, the iptv box called epico is a google tv box which has full access to the play store. Which means i can install VPN, downloader and all other apps to stream. This is pretty good news as typically ISP supplied stuff is typically locked.

I have put on a vpn and streamio so far, the other stuff needs the downloader which i have put on.

Sounds like their version of my ISP Comcast’s streaming box Flex…? They keep offering it to me for free but I’ve never taken them up on it. I guess if you get everything you want running on yours, you can compare it to your other streaming boxes. Any specs on it?

1 Like

I cant speak for other ISP’s equipment and what they are capable off. Cogeco gave this to me free and reduced my bill for taking basic iptv cable with it… LOL because everyone is cutting cable. But they offered me a 15 year internet reduced bill to take it so i said sure. I thought for sure it was going to be locked like most things are when your provider offers you their box. To my surprise its a google tv powered box with all google services on it including app store and turning on install from unknown sources and downloader… So that surprised me. I can install tivimate on it and put in my provider lol. 10 gigs of internal storage too. I would read up on your providers box first, if they give you a good deal try it out… you can always return it. But dont expect it to be the same… This is powered by google tv operating on the cogeco network.

1 Like

Roger all that…when you get some time…jump on AIDA64 & check out the specs, other than storage…I’d be interested in seeing what its got for guts. Sounds like you got a very very long term deal…ha ha. With the way inflation is going & ISPs charging more & more…you may have locked yourself into a pretty good internet rate for a long time :+1: :moneybag:

That was my next step, i didn’t research this box at all, i was only getting a modem. It’s a 15 year no contract as well. Yea, i was happy with the reduced rate as my inet goes up almost each year.

Copy…I see your gateway has 32/8 bonded channels & DOC 3.1…so as far as a modem connecting to the internet, you are about as current as what the ISPs are using…DOCSIS 3.2 I don’t believe has become mainstream with ISP equipment as of yet, but I could be wrong on that cause I don’t follow closely anymore. The router part of your gateway probably has some newer bells & whistles in it also…besides the wifi 6 capabilities. Hopefully, with the deal you got, they will continue to upgrade your equipment, as they come out with higher tech every few years. :cowboy_hat_face: