Canada Netflix to charge extra for non-registered IP...VPN options?

Netflix (Canada only?) will be charging an extra $8 if an account has users who share their account with people outside their home network, to curb password sharing. I’m not clear on how they plan to apply policy for university students who aren’t at their primary home location, but I’m trying to be proactive and find a solution.

I’ve tried the trial of SurfShark a month ago and I really like that I was able to still use Netflix while logged into SurfShark. I was even able to geolocate to watch US Netflix, which I wasn’t able to with my other vpn.

Are there any vpns out there that allow you to lock into one ip address without additional cost? if not, are there any that allow you to register to one ip? I’m thinking that if we log into one one ip, no matter where we are connecting to, Netflix won’t be able to identify a non-home network.

TIA!

Don’t quote me on this but I doubt there will be any options that doesn’t cost more. You would most likely need a service that offers a dedicated residential ip. I have seen services offer it but never for the same price as regular service. From what I can tell the extra $8 Netflix will charge you for password sharing is actually cheaper than the VPN option

I honestly don’t understand, and with all due respect to the many Netflix subscribers here - with all the alternative information available on this forum, what does Netflix offer that attracts so many subscribers? Thanks.

2 Likes

Work around:

However, some users have already found a way to bypass the system to continue with password sharing. A user only needs to create a brand new Gmail account and password, and the user’s family members or close friends can then log in to the same Gmail account to authenticate and log in to Netflix. They can then share accounts without subscribing to expensive monthly plans

1 Like

Another option. I use Wireguard on a Firestick 4K which I bring with me everywhere and have PiVPN set up at home with a Raspberry Pi so I’m able to stream from anywhere on the planet while staying on my home IP address.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.