Can you sideload on smart tv without using firestick

Never realized I didn’t need a firestick to sideload smarts. Is this true?

Didn’t know that, too. Might be a hood alternative to even using a low-level FS. Although, I would imagine the storage and ram may not be as good as say like a nVidia Pro.

Yes you can. Often the experience is not very good for many reasons but it can be done.
https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-sideload-apps-android-tv/

As long as the TV’s OS is Fire TV or Android TV, yes.

One time I forgot to bring one of my ONN boxes to a place that I frequently stay. It has a Fire TV TV set & I was able to sideload a few things.

The one thing that you might run into is that the memory can be extremely limited. Based upon my experience, I’d rather use a seperate device and, fortunarely, Firesticks or Android boxes are really cheap.

To be honest, I don’t think ‘smart’ TVs are a good idea anyway, even if you’re using only verified apps. I’d rather have 3-4 HDMI inputs and not pay for an embedded, low spec OS.

4 Likes

Yes, I have a Sony which has an android system, basically any tv which runs on android can have side loaded apps.
A word of warning though, it’s cheaper to replace a screwed up firestick/android box than a screwed up tv.

4 Likes

Good point. I should’ve thought of that.
The Fire TV & Roku TV that are available to me at that house both depend on their stock launchers to operate.

Yep, anything with a Droid system

I’m lookin at buyin a android projector, no tv needed

Then u can watch TV on the ceiling over the bed… :sunglasses:

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.