Cable TV Viewership Continues to Plummet to All-Time Low

Originally published at: https://troypoint.com/cable-tv-viewership-plummets-to-all-time-low/

The decline of cable TV viewership has reached a new low in 2023, with cable TV viewing dropping below 30% of all TV viewing. According to Nielsen, cable TV network viewing now accounts for only 28.3% of all TV viewing, while streaming services account for 36.1% and broadcast TV accounts for 24.9%. Other forms of…

8 Likes

I’m 78 and still trying to quit cable But still stuck with cable and being charged to get my local channels . Can’t find an indoor antenna that works HOA won’t allow rooftop antenna. Dish and DirecTV no longer offer internet. VOIP phone does not recommend use of cellular internet. Looks like I’m stuck but will not quit trying… Merry Christmas to All and Happy New Year!

1 Like

Maybe if it wasn’t for CORPORATE GREED and they lowered the price of cable tv, it might get more subscribers. They (cable tv companies) also need to get a better format to accommodate the customers needs better.
Just a few suggestions…

1 Like

Suggest you get a good stock android or android tv streaming device and subscribe to one of the many reviewed streaming services on this website. As long as you have internet service with a good signal along with a vpn you can get internet protocol television, including your local channels for a fraction of what your cable tv service is costing you.

2 Likes

Was replying then saw @sim_bill response. what he said. Troy reviews many of the Verified IPTV services out there (Youtube TV, Sling, Philo, etc…) but you will find while most of these will be less costly than your cable service there are a LOT of great unverified IPTV services out there and most carry the local affiliates across the country and these services will be as low as $8-$15/month. If you spend $20 to become a Patron it will unlock a lot of information here regarding those unverified IPTV services and allow you to truly cut the cord.

EDIT: - You ARE already a Patron? If you are willing to sub to an IPTV service you have everything you need here

1 Like

how far are you from an antenna farm? Big City?

Is sat tv service (Dish DirecTV) counted as “cable” or is that other?

A business can only raise their prices to a point where the customers start telling them to go to hell . Cable, Direct and Dish have been at that point for quit awhile now .

I’ll try to reply to all who have replied so far and thank you all for your suggestions. The mountains between Tucson and my home block local signals. I am aware of the iptv options due to all the great advice on Troypoint and I have a Firestick. I just keep looking for another way to get high speed internet so I can take advantage of the iptv options, keep voip too and tell Comcast to shove it .

Surely comcast has internet only packages?Ditch the tv portion and use the internet for iptv.

They do but when I went to their office and explored the possibility I was told I had to keep them for another 2 years so I guess I’ll have to hang on unless I can find another satisfactory high speed internet provider… They wonder why we don’t want cable anymore.

I hate to hear anyone paying so much money for cable. Please find someone who can help you to buy a fire stick jailbreak it for you and show you how to use it. All you’ll need is the internet and Surf Shark for your VPN.

1 Like

Hi-I am using cellular home Internet and it works fine with my IPTV and streaming apps. You might consider doing the same.

There are a lot of unverified services on IPTV Wire (see link here on Troypoint), that offer great choices and selection for viewing that you can subscribe to for under $20 per month.

Is mounting in the attic possible at your house?
Channel Master: Over-The-Air Broadcast Entertainment Products

Actually I’m working on that now. I’ve got a hole cut in the garage ceiling for attic access and an antenna on order. Wish me luck and Happy New Year.

1 Like

Now the price of streaming services is going thu the roof. It’s good to have free services.

I managed to get an antenna mounted in my attic only to discover roof tiles block all signals. Oh well it keeps me thinking.

It’s amazing. They keep raising prices, sighting source costs and upgrades, etc…but nothing changes except profits and corporate bonuses. I cut cable tears ago, and will never go back.

Not good for those who have defected to the “Workaround Nation”. These comm & media giants will probably double-down on plugging as many holes as possible in efforts to shut down providers and force end-users to come crawling back.

For a little over three years, I have been using a service that’s $10/mo. for up to 5 TVs. I went from $238/mo. (+/-), to $10. Now add a multiplier to this single example that represents real-time users…Whoa! Unfortunately, about 6 mos. ago this provider has ceased new account signups indefinitely.