Cable modem & router

Finally cutting cord. Use firesticks. Going with Xfinity at 100 maps. Should I purchase separate cable modem and router or are the combined modem/router better? Also cannot afford much so looking in $200 range. Any recommendations as to what to purchase?

2 Likes

Hi @CYRENNA
Welcome to the community. Hope you find it helpful.
How many people are going to connect to your router? There might be a thread on here that talks about routers and modems. Might want to do a search and find out what others are recommending.

2 Likes

Cyrenna…doesn’t really matter…personally, I have a Motorola modem & a TP-Link router…but combination devices are very good also. You can get decent quality of either for around $100 total…no need to spend $200 at this time…maybe next upgrade, a few years down the road. First thing you want to do tho is check the Comcast/Xfinity approved 3rd party equipment page. (just do an online search) They have minimum specs/models for 3rd party equipment & it will eventually change as they upgrade their technology over the years…so don’t overspend. (Retired telecom guy) Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

4 Likes

Only 2 in my household.

@CYRENNA

Along with what @pangaeatech said make sure to login into the router and modem to set bandwidth allocation priority. Don’t allow it to make one unit have all the priority or it will effect other units connected.

With these new modems get installed it shouldn’t be a issue but the router does it. You can change that when you login into the router.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. This helped.

1 Like

I may need help with this… supposed to be hooked up with Xfinity next Tuesday. Will this be something the tech would set for me during installation?

1 Like

Nope. No need for the tech in house unless to troubleshoot.

1 Like

Well I’m currently with Frontier DSL so Xfinity needs to run cable and such

@CYRENNA

You can ask but probably not. If they give you a Modem that’s used as a wifi modem that won’t be a issue.

Used to be in the past. If you use your own router then it’s something you can check in the router settings.

1 Like

Some will say separate modem and router is better for better wifi connection and replacing individual equipment. The combo units are EASY to set up! Gamers might prefer to have separate modem and router, but they would have a heck of a lot more speed package. So I figure you just want to surf the net and stream TV. Then a combo unit is good enough for that purpose.

You can get a decent modem router combo from the Big Box Store for around $150ish. These combo units have come a long way since their beginnings.

Super simple to connect. Just connect your cable cord and power, (and an ethernet if you want). Give the unit a chance to find everything. It should do it automatically, but if not there should be a manual button on the unit somewhere (usually on top). If you run into a connection issue just call Xfinity and they will run a diagnostic and reboot.

You will need you your UN and PW you set up wifi on your individual streaming devices.

You can’t hurt anything that can’t be fixed! Don’t be sceeered! You got this!

Btw, try getting a modem/router that is more download speed than what your plan is. Most of these combo units will have a minimum more than 100Mbps anyway.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.