Block Fire OS update after a factory reset during registration

Has anyone been able to successfully block/bypass the Amazon fire OS update after a factory reset during the re-registering/re-activating of the FS4K using Jayhawks659 method?

https://troypointinsider.com/t/block-amazon-system-updates/43814/45

After the first time of setting up two FS4K a couple of days ago, they unfortunately installed/updated with (NS6281/4812), which of course starts to block the adb-commands to prevent updates; too bad they didn’t install a lower build version than 4812. WL and LM are still working until it reaches 6287.

Otherwise; “Blokada” it is.

I’m glad you posted this as I was about to try it. I too will be interested when someone figures out a work around.

Yeah, I assumed the factory reset would only work if it went back to the OS version that came installed originally. If it’s a brand new device that came with a newer OS it’s not going to work. But if the factory reset doesn’t roll back the OS then nevermind.

2 Likes

Yes, my thoughts exactly, I figured that this method would reset all default settings the device came with but really did not think it would download the original OS it came with. Still it was a good thought.

They actually physically change the devices ‘wiring’ by blowing eFuses in the circuits. Amazon sends commands and alters the devices permanently. Once done…hard for someone to learn to re-route the logic.

images.jpeg

2 Likes

There is no going back.

Whatever version it updates to is permanent, regardless of how many factory resets are done and whatever methods are used to block/prevent any updates.

We blocked any/all possibilities of updates via Router’s DNS and parental controls and after the factory reset(s), it gave error messages that it could not check for updates, which means that whatever “version/build” of the FireOS it had before the factory reset, it will be the exact same one after the reset.

Your method via “unplugging/disconnecting” and/or blocking via DNS in the router will work only if/when the FireOS has a “version/build” that still allows blocking updates via commands and for launcher managers to work…eg… when they are first purchased and depending on what FireOS “version/build” they come with which is unknown until after it is setup.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.