Best possible screen resolution settings with Shield

There are a ton of possibilities for screen resolutions within Shield. I have a older Sharp TV that came out at the beginning of 4k when there were not quite yet standards established (refresh rates, hdmi versions, etc.). It is capable of 2160 resolution.
With that in mind, I am trying to find the best combination of display settings - AI upscaling, detail enhancement, custom display modes - that will get the best possible picture quality. I’ve been trying to test a number of different combinations but quite frankly I have not really found any that stand out above the rest. Or in other words, is it best to use the highest resolution and ditch the AI upscaling, or use the AI upscaling and use a 1080p resolution setting for the best picture quality?

Yup. Search for “shield settings” and I guarantee you’ll find my post on it.

Yes, it’s capable as far as the resolution. You probably want to find out what your TV is capable of as far as color depth. Set it to the appropriate bit depth or else you’ll end up with washed out colors. If it’s an older TV you probably also want to stick to Rec. 709 color gamut.

1 Like

I have mine set to 4k 50hz as im in uk. And ai enhanced set to high and the picture is brilliant. I haven’t changed any colour space settings.

1 Like

I have my AI set to high, also, but I set it so I can enable/disable with on click on the remote. Not always do I want AI, and not all programing can be adjusted.

1 Like

Any reason to not have it on? Ai make it worse?

Good to know, will search for that.

I leave AI on all the time. Pretty sure it automatically determines when to upscale and when not to. I’ve never noticed any problems. And if you’re in the US the refresh rate is 60Hz.

1 Like

Nah, just personal preference. I don’t like seeing every pock mark, zit, pours on a person’s face lol

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.