Antivirus Really Needed?

I’m just looking for people’s input on this topic. Are antivirus apps really needed on streaming devices? How does one get a virus on their devices, and what do the viruses do?

I only use Tivimate and Kodi mostly. The only addon I use is The Crew, which has proven to be pretty safe and reliable. So, I’m curious to hear how other people use their devices and why they think an antivirus program is necessary?

1 Like

Are we counting malware/spyware/adware as a Virus?

I’m the type better to be safe than sorry kind. I have never heard of anyone getting one on there device YET but . That’s why you have to be very careful where and what you download from. I’m sure there is something out there that can spy on your device and get your info and tracking and wouldn’t put it past big brother to get info that way . Have to be so careful theses days . Just my opinion for what it’s worth :v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Don’t need a anti virus if streaming from sources like yours with real debrid. I’d say a firewall would be better and a vpn.

I have one do to the amount of stuff i do with my mods and such.

2 Likes

Yes, all of that in the same category.

3 Likes

I kinda feel like this is what gets some people in trouble though. You’re more likely to get a virus or something by downloading what you think is a legitimate antivirus app from an illegitimate source. But as Dracoo said, if you’re only streaming and not downloading torrents then should be fine without.

3 Likes

I use Malwarebytes and Defsquid. I scan APKs before install and then scan the app when first installed.

4 Likes

I do the same but I have viper for Android

2 Likes

Ive been using Kodi since the days of XBMC . I had a cheap gaming device called Ouya that I purchased from a Kickstarter project. I rooted the device and was able to side load XBMC. in that 10 year stretch or so I never had any issue with viruses. I only have my streaming apps on my devices and I’m not even logged into my Google account/ play store . All banking, financial & shopping is done on my phone which I do have AVG anti-virus and I do not connect to my home wifi just in case an intruder makes it to my network through a tv box.
:pirate_flag::pirate_flag:

3 Likes

The bad guys are everywhere now days and go after the weakest link. Best policy is on your streaming device simply do not use personal info(thats what they want)… stay hidden with no links back to you. Rule #1 Nothing is safe and secure on the internet.

4 Likes

I agree that’s why I use viper and defsquid can’t hurt and on my shield I have plenty of room. I don’t do anything but streaming on it either but It makes me feel better I have it . :v::sunglasses:

Bigrich if you are streaming through that asus router and have all the features on your pretty safe, anything more is overkill. Asus has trend micro built in as well as ips and a slew of network safeguards all built in. Where people get in trouble is the “handshake”. Thats where you have identified to the bad guy that you are really there and maybe worth going after. Same as answering a phone call from unknown caller :+1:

2 Likes

I hear ya and yes that is one of the reasons I got the Asus and of course your recommendation LoL. And yes it is a little over kill but I already had everything installed on the shield already before I got the new router which I must say I am loving it so much better than the Netgear router I had before which was ok at the time I got it. Thanks :v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

In fact Asus is having a labor day sale I just got it check it out a little late labor day weekend is over but better late than never I guess lol

https://www.asus.com/us/deals/Networking-IoT-Servers/?utm_source=MarketingCloud&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2022%20Labor%20Day%20Sale%20EDM%20-%20US

2 Likes

$50 off, thats a good deal on a sweet router.

1 Like

I know nothing is ever on sale when I need it :sob:good deal for someone in need :+1:

1 Like

Is Viper an AV app? I’d like to have a look. tx

1 Like

The Best Antivirus Software & Internet Security Solutions | VIPRE. I really like it I have it on my phone and shield and had it on my PC until I switched to Linux and don’t need it there anymore. Check it out I think it will pass your inspection :v::sunglasses:

I did look at it but it doesn’t look like there’s been an update in 18 months for it. Now that was on apkpure so I’m hunting around for the latest. Appreciate your suggestion Thanks for the link. $34/yr, wow that’s great.

1 Like

I have version 11.0.1.6 on My phone if that helps :thinking:

1 Like