Android System WebView Updating

Anyone know if there is any ill affects if I uninstall updates or Disable the Android System WebView app. This is a systems app so I am not sure if doing anything to it would create an issue.

The problem is this app will not update for the last month or so. It starts to update and I get all the way to 98% but then it stalls and kicks me out.

The reviews on this app are terrible and they are all complaining about the same issue.

1 Like

How To Fix Android System WebView Won’t Update [Updated Solutions]

2 Likes

Just now found a fix (credit The Droid Guy). I ended up downloading and installing a 3rd party Android System Webview apk from APKMirror. It downloaded and installed fine. Then I checked the Play Store and the pending update for the Android System Webview app was gone. I searched the app in the store and it also no longer showed an update button. So, I guess that’s that.

I did post the fix in my review on the Play Store app page. There are a lot of folks in the same boat.

Haha, just saw your link. Should have waited for you to respond, huh. lol

Btw, I did all the fixes he wrote and it was the very last one on the page that worked. …go figure.

How To Fix Android System WebView Won’t Update [Updated Solutions] (thedroidguy.com)

Update: That solved the problem with updating, but created a whole nother set of issues. That being any app that redirected me to anything in the web would not work, i.e., Downloader, TVBro, Cinema Hd, to name a few. So, I had to uninstall the apk I downloaded from APK Mirror and tried to install the Android System Webview app from the Play Store and it did what it did before. Goes 98% download and kicks me out. Also, the "Pending Update notification once again appears and won’t update. However, all my apps are functioning properly again.

So, I am going leave well enough alone and not screw with it anymore. I’ll just have to deal with OCD and bite the bullet! lol

Btw, Should I go back to the Play Store and remove the “Fix” I posted in the reviews, or let them eat cake? lol

1 Like

This fix I found this morning on the Nividia (Shield TV) Forum. Did as suggested and the app updated properly and all systems are go. F I N A L L Y !

Btw, I did email via the developer contact email in the Play Store and Google respond with stating that the email address is no longer being monitored. go figure… :smirk:

Fyi, if you do this fix. After you establish the Developer Options again. You will need to reconfigure your setting in there again. So, make sure you look or copy down what settings you messed with.

1 Like

That OCD can be a real B*tch sometimes! lol

1 Like