Amazon Removes Dolby Vision & Atmos From Prime Video

Originally published at: https://troypoint.com/amazon-removes-dolby-vision-atmos-from-prime-video/

Prime Video, the popular streaming service from Amazon, has made a significant change that has disappointed many subscribers. The company has decided to remove Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos surround sound audio from its platform, but there is an option to bring back these premium features by paying an additional fee for the ad-free…

Wow!

That’s Amazon’s shady way of swaying perception. Prime subscribers were already angered over the fact that a full cost membership was being forced to endure ads with their included prime video.

Many felt, myself included, that if you got ads, then you should have the option for a smaller membership cost, like $99-$109. Full paying members, like full cost Netflix subs, should be ad-freem

With the whole DV and ATMOS thing, they’re trying to add value to the $2.99 fee that they’re trying to arm twist their Prime subs.

Don’t be surprised if they raise the cost of Prime membership again - and still make you digest ads. Prime music is next.

It’s as if Amazon is purposely trying to fracture their once loyal customer base.

alexa will be next

piss on em same thing I said to netflix.the more these greedy bastages keep squeezing the further I go away from them.

2 Likes

it is already coming. lol

Fvck em. If you’re running KODI you don’t need Amazon Prime. If they somehow stop allowing sideloading existing FS get ONN from Walmart, $19.95 and works great.
Another option for those who may not know, if you have a Sony TV with Google OS, you can download the KODI app and set it up directly on the TV with no additional devices to deal with. As always be sure to run a VPN app.

I’m Out

Very interesting business model where a provider chooses to take away something you have and like, and at the same time knowingly give you something you don`t want, unless you meet our demands. To my knowledge, no other provider has tried taking away your best picture and sound in an attempt to get more money from you.

yea it’s a total crock of you know what.But Max and Netflix sort of did the same thing.Just like the old cable/sat providers these streaming companies will push too far and be looking for other avenues to line their pockets.

I saw recently and I think it was Sony that tried to take away digital media that you had PURCHASED on their platform.

I believe after some backlash they reversed their decision.

I am sure Amazon will refer to some clause in their agreement terms that says they are completely within their rights to blah blah blah.

I’ll see if I can find the article.

They will stop at nothing to take more $ from you.

https://www.thegamer.com/playstation-removes-tv-shows-films-discovery-digital-media-no-refunds/#:~:text=PlayStation%20is%20getting%20rid%20of,and%20seasons%20of%20TV%20shows.

I’ve been a amazon prime member since 2015 I’m a bit disgusted.

Amazon will also start charging a fee for some returns if you use a UPS label, rather than dropping it off yourself at a whole foods or Amazon locker location.

There was something else related to a return processing fee that was being introduced in 2024 also - can’t remember the fine details.

We are witnessing Bezos screwing the pooch in real time.

This just happened to me, as I returned an item, requested a regular UPS label, and they wanted to charge me $6.95… I bitched and moaned telling them I was a prime member, and they did not charge for the label…
I sent it off and guess what. they only gave me $ 7.97 out of $ 14.96…again I bitched and moaned , they said that the would ask a supervisor for me to get the $$ I paid for it, a I waited about 5 minutes on hold and she said they would be giving me an additional $ 6.96 …I wonder how many people do not argue this nonsense , and just accept what ever they get back in credit…LOL

I’m glad I read it here because the letter that Amazon sent me in my email failed to tell me about Dolby vision and Dolby Atmos being removed which I’m capable of both. One series Jack Ryan on prime video has Dolby vision or Dolby Atmos they’re not consistent though throughout their whole seasons but I will check to see if anything has changed. The commercials haven’t been bugging me that much but the dropping of the limited Dolby vision and Dolby Atmos that they have does without them telling me. I think I will be going to their website and reading their contract for their $2.99 fee to see what it includes and not includes. Thanks Troy for all your help.

Just FYI I’m disabled and Amazon if you click a little arrow in the return area for options they have a UPS pickup they didn’t used to charge for this years ago but now they are but when I call Amazon they always tell me to call them after I’ve had it picked up and they will credit me. I did drop it off at a UPS one time they wanted to charge me a dollar but I don’t think they tell you that on Amazon site. Just a little tip Amazon has a call me service that I bookmark so every time I have to talk with them I just click one button and my phone rings with them on the other line. Before it was like jumping through hoops to find their number or you could just Google it but I like to call me service better.