Amazon morphing into another Roku?

As Amazon adds more restrictions to user control of their own Fire TV devices, they may eventually disallow the side loading of third party apps.

This is no different than when we all started the torrent scene. MPAA declared war on us and we thumbed our noses at them. This was over 30 yrs ago and torrents are still here. MPAA didn’t like it when we gave proof that Studios like Walt Disney and MGM Grant were releasing director copies to us for distribution. The studios realized that torrents were a huge free advertising source, as who wants to watch top shows like Avatar on a crummy little monitor when there are 100 ft high screens? They actually found that revenues for released Director cuts were up to %300 more, and it’s all about the money.

2 Likes

My journey started with Roku and then I started tinkering with Firesticks and it only got better. I’ve ditched the sticks for TiVo Stream 4K’s and an Nvidia Shield Pro. I’ve learned quite a bit from here and enjoy tinkering with them. I’ll download Kodi just for something to do then delete it lol

2 Likes

Possibly. But if they do, we’ll just defect to generic android boxes. That’ll be cutting off their corporate noses to spite their face!

3 Likes

I’ve already begun the transitioning process.

1 Like

I have a firestick and rarely use it. I occasionally watch an Amazon series on it, but for the most part, broke away from it about 7 years ago and have been Android TV box ever since.

Highly talked about subject. For now Amazon products are safe to side load no issues there, tons of guides as well.

Until a time when Amazon is no longer letting use side load our fav apks or cord cutting aps I think then we will re adjust our tactics at that time.

2 Likes

I see that coming to a device near you soon!

2 Likes

I prefer the (similar in cost to the stick) knockoff Android boxes (T95Z Plus) with considerably more RAM and Storage. I’ll set up KODI 4K Firesticks for others because they are very easy to use for people but I prefer the options an android Box gives me

3 Likes

I agree. If you need added storage they’re great, but for me there is absolutely nothing to gain, same price or otherwise. 4K Max works flawlessly for my needs, simplicity aside.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.