Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max VS Onn Google TV 4K Streaming Box

Looking for opinions on Amazon 4K max vs Google tv Watch onn 4k

4kmax would be my pick based on device specs.

1 Like

Amazon has too much control like apple and force you to do things and see ad’s you don’t like?
they also have control over what you can do with thier devices? i like the freedom of android? i can do what i want with that system

1 Like

Android TV still has the ads. Maybe open Android is better.

Since getting a couple of Onn 4K boxes, I’ve never had the need to plug my 4K/4KMax sticks back into any of my other non-primary TVs.

They’re really good and functional for the price point. The Max will feel a bit snappier given it’s better hardware specs, but it continues to be bogged down by its heavily forked android 9.0 OS, as it continues to have issues with memory leaks. That’s why regular reboots are helpful with firesticks.

For $20, assuming you have disposable budget for such, it’s worth it just to play around with it…without much of the restrictions that comes with the Amazon landscape.

2 Likes

Unknown factor - will Amazon replace the software on current devices with their rumored new os on a future update? How will that effect on side loaded apps

Current and prior gen devices already being sold - doubtful on current gen. Pretty much no on previous gens.

In order to reimage a compete OS would be difficult to do as an OTA update., given its lack of onboard storage space and different software platform. It would be a nightmare also.

Devs would have to hop on board with writing and releasing new apps that would support the Linux cored Vega OS. Existing APKs would not run on Vega.

1 Like

I’d run the ONN box over Firestick imo

I’d just run them both over…with a Ford F-250 Dually. lol

Monster truck

I use them both. The new 4k max works better for me . I use tivimate stremio and the add free you tube with Surfshark. The main difference is that Stremio never buffers on the max with surfshark on . And I mean NEVER. I can’t watch Stremio on Onn with Surfshark on without a lot of buffering. As far as the UI I use Projectivy. On the Max when I turn it on it will always revert back to default UI so I just select Projectivity first thing and all is good.I also use Def Squid to clean everything up before I start watching .So basically the performance is pretty much flawless with the Max as compared to the Onn. Although the Onn and Max are pretty much equal when watching Tivimate.Got the Max on sale for 35 bucks so I figure I can put up with Bezos BS for pretty much flawless viewing.