Advice on beginner laptop

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a beginner laptop. I’m almost 60 and my wife is close behind. Neither one of us have ever used anything besides our phones and android tv devices. We don’t know the difference in operating systems or even if there is one. We just want something we can stream using kodi, stremio etc, also something a printer can be hooked to and one I can download files to a usb drive which I could then update some android tv boxes that need firmware updates. If there is anything under the $500.00 range that would be helpful. Thanks for any suggestions :blush:

Well you could get a chromebook and if so I would suggest the lenovo 5i ideapad. However having just done the same what I wound up doing was getting a good quality android tablet. I didnt want too big so I could take it with me etc. So my choice was lenovo yoga tab 11. You can also check out the samsung tabs they are nice but price is high. Lenovo is the poor mans samsung :sweat_smile:

edit… if you go chromebook, this is the best bang for your buck>>>

Amazon.com: Lenovo - 2022 - IdeaPad Flex 5i - 2-in-1 Chromebook Laptop Computer - Intel Core i3-1115G4 - 13.3" FHD Touch Display - 8GB Memory - 256GB Storage - Chrome OS : Everything Else
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-2-1-Chromebook-i3-1115G4/dp/B0BFFZH9LN/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=M11R6DLPVVNQ&keywords=lenovo%2Bchromebook&qid=1672065647&sprefix=lenovo%2Bchromeboo%2Caps%2C413&sr=8-2-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE0NFk4U1pDMjhMVkkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0NTQ0ODVQSjJMUjFFRTIyUDImZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDgyMjE5NDJMTTdJUkNRNVpJTzYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

This is my Yoga tab>>> Lenovo Yoga Tab 11 11" Tablet 256GB Storm Gray ZA8W0084US - Best Buy
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-tab-11-11-tablet-256gb-storm-gray/6472587.p?skuId=6472587

3 Likes

You can very easily get a decent laptop for that price. I’ve had good luck with both HP & Acer brands but not so much with ASUS (at least the one I have that occasionally has overheating issues & their repair centre was a joke to deal with - they blamed it on the software I had on it - I laughed in their faces when they said that because I use the same software on all my desktop/laptops)

I would suggest one with at least an i5 processor, 8GB of RAM & a 500GB SSD running Windows 11. That will more than suffice running KODI, IPTV, etc. My laptop’s are only i3 processors but run whatever I use it for (not a gamer!!).

Check big box stores such as Best Buy as well as discount stores - your guaranteed to find something in your price range.

Good luck!

1 Like

Search for laptops and I would suggest staying away from Apple. Not because they aren’t a good product, but they are not compatible Windows, Microsoft,

Also, if you are not needing the biggest and best how about looking into a good Android tablet with a large screen. I have a converted Fire HD 10 tablet and I like it, but I don’t think you can convert these to Android anymore?

I bought a 14" Hp Pavilion x2 convertible 2 in 1 back 2020 and it’s still working well. The nice thing about these is you can use as a tablet or laptop.

Personally, the next gadget I get will be a large screen Android tablet.

2 Likes

Is this the one via Canada. And just double-checking, I can hook a printer to this?

Lenovo - 2022 - IdeaPad Flex 5i - 2-in-1 Chromebook Laptop Computer - Intel Core i3-1115G4 - 13.3" FHD Touch Display - 8GB Memory - 256GB Storage - Chrome OS https://a.co/d/6WuuMyU

yep same one and its also one of the best sellers mainly because at that price 8gb ram is un-heard of and really good storage. You can hook a printer to pretty much anything.

1 Like

I’m not a tablet guy & have been using laptops exclusively for decades…I only use Dell laptops. That being said…tablets seem to be the device to get these days…so you may want to go that route :thinking:

2 Likes

Yes, you can wifi any printer…even on tablets.

1 Like

Thanks a million @TXRon, I am going to give that one a go and thanks for everyone’s suggestions :grinning: what a great place!

2 Likes

Thats a top rated chromebook, It was my choice before I bought the tablet instead and I still might get it :rofl:… it runs android apps also :+1:

2 Likes

Do you know if this is compatible?

Limited-time deal: Canon PIXMA TS3420 Wireless Inkjet Printer (Black/White) https://a.co/d/9iUjOyD

yep
Screenshot from 2022-12-26 10-06-35

1 Like

You can connect wireless or usb

Thanks a million, this will make printing all my return labels for Amazon much easier :grinning:

1 Like

Always check pricing of ink re-fill and availability in your local area.

1 Like

by the way I have the older version of that printer ts3322, looks identical and I have learned it loves to use color ink. So I turn off color on prints that dont need it. :+1:

1 Like

The Canadian :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Curse!

dam import fees…thats so crazy

Would be better to get someone from the states to buy it for you and send it.

1 Like

heres a preview of your new soon to be toy

Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5i (2022) Hands-On Impressions - YouTube

2 Likes