3rd party apps removed from Fire stick by Amazon

Hi Very weird; I opened my Fire stick and almost all 3rd party apps wouldn’t open. I reset the Fire stick and now all of them are gone. Anyone else have this problem, or, better, a solution?

3 Likes

Resetting the firestick does wipe apps, it goes back to default when you do that.

Please review this for all firestick issues and guides, if the following hasn’t worked feel free to ask.

This should resolve most to all issues.

3 Likes

Thank you. I probably used the wrong term because I did not reset the firestick to factory settings. The apps disappeared after I restarted the firestick. I appreciate the link and will read it carefully.

2 Likes

Do you use a USB drive for external storage on the Firestick?

2 Likes

Yes, I do have a USB for external storage.

2 Likes

Mine does that everytime I turn it off. I have to go to App Library and click on the “Installed Applications” and check each app. Hit the menu button on each one and if it says “hide app” change it to “show app”

Pain in the ass but until I find out a fix, at least I can find the apps.

2 Likes

What model firestick do you use I have 4k max and 2nd gen cube and 65" QLED OMNI Fire tv none of them have done this interesting :thinking:

1 Like

I actually have never had this happen. I have already done the search of the App Library, etc., and they are gone. I will double check once again to see if they are hidden but this appears to have been a deliberate expunging of certain apps. I may have had an early warning last week when one of the apps all of a sudden didn’t work and when I tried to reload it, it downloaded, but still would not work properly. Very odd. Thanks very much for your reply.

2 Likes

My stick is just the 4K. I am very happy for you; may your devices continue to cooperate and thrive as you want them to! Thanks for your reply.

3 Likes

If you figure out a fix let us know in case I may experience in the future

1 Like

Of course, especially given all of the assistance I have received from this community in the past. Right now, however, it is looking like a long slog of factory reset and rebuild. I am starting to wonder if it was a USB fail, if that is possible.

Are the apps that are missing loaded onto the USB?

1 Like

Yes, or they should be. I am not sure how to access them through the stick at the moment.

1 Like

Have you tried ejecting the usb and removing it, unplugging everything for a little while then rebooting everything? Also I’ve ran into when uninstalling an app I’ve actually had to reinstall it and clear data then uninstall and reinstall, sometimes that helps getting an app to work again.

This was my solution…I moved away from Amazon :rofl::rofl: Sorry @Miki I’m just messing around. Everyone has their preference on devices and that’s what’s great about this hobby

4 Likes

Hey no need to apologize. I love ppl giving Amazon a dig, gives me an opportunity to dig Google, especially after their latest policy update. Scarey for Google users.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I tried to eject the USB but it was no longer showing up in My Fire Stick (which was not a good sign) and did all of the unplug, reboot, etc. with no success. Your advice about uninstalling the app, etc. I haven’t done but as I have already reset the stick, I will save that for things to try next time.

2 Likes

Thanks for the ‘solution’. I have to admit it sounds like sage advice in the midst of getting things back to how I had them before things went awry.

3 Likes

I would choose anything over a firestick.
The ones rated the best are the best for a reason. Pay the $200 they cost.
I have switched, everything works better.

1 Like

Another good reason for stock android as google and amazon are headed down this path and eventually they hope to achieve total control of content. Trust me its going to happen sooner or later.

4 Likes