Word of caution! fire tv cube

Just bought a fire cube, and set up a USB drive really easy, but did an update from Amazon and it erased all the apps that I had stored on there! So if you update take out your USB storage drive!

Think if you reboot (unplug and plug back in) the missing apps will reappear.

1 Like

It didn’t remove them. If I remember correctly after some update the cube would not read the USB drive if you have ADB enabled. You have to reset it to the default setting of off. Then do a complete power cycle, restart the cube, plug the USB drive back in and it should then read the drive and recognize your apps. Unfortunatly I don’t have a cube to test it.

Did what you said, didn’t work. So i just reformated, and it read ready to use, so i went to storage in my fire tv, and it does not show any drive except for fire cube!

1 Like

Tried that, no dice! Thanks anyway!

1 Like

So you went into developer options, turned ADB off, then unplug the cube from the TV and from the power? Then plug the cube all back in, making sure you use a house plug and not the TV USB port, and turn the cube on, then plug the USB Drive into the OTG? Ahh to late you reformatted. You will have to reformat the usb now I suspect. I gotta get a cube to use for testing. 3rd gen though.

1 Like

Well I did not unplug it from the tv or the power, let me give that a shot and I’ll let you know!

1 Like

Ya you have to remove the usb drive from the otg cable. Go into settings. Turn off ADB. Then unplug it completely. Then put it all back together after a couple of minutes. Then turn it on. Lastly plug the usb drive back in.

1 Like

Naa not happening! I think that update blew .
up my USB drive. Says its fomated but not showing up in my storage

2 Likes

And your ADB is off? That’s very odd. You can always plug the drive into a computer and format it to fat32. but you shouldn’t have to.

Yeah tried that too but got a pop up saying it couldn’t be formatted! The USB drive worked fine until I did the update. Gonna go buy another USB and see if that’s the problem. Thanks for all your help, God Bless!!

2 Likes

Do you have a computer or lap top that you can plug that drive into and see if you could format to fat32?

1 Like

Yeah I did that and the popup said Cannot format. Im stumped!!

1 Like

Go into Windows Storage Manager and repartition the drive. Then reformat it FAT32.

Ok tried everything else lol. “NEVER give up the ship”!! Lol

Navy veteran 74 to 77 :anchor:

1 Like

USB drives are so cheap that it makes sense to buy a new one to avoid headaches triggered by frustration :laughing:

If you’re using a windows machine, I’d suggest using Rufus (TP has a tutorial) or Minipartition tool or similar. Using a disk manager app will show the USB drive that doesn’t show when you just look after plugging in and looking at the files.

But seriously, USBs are so cheap…

Yeah probably what I’m ah gonna do, just buy a new one, tired of fighting with this, been at it all day! Thanks for all your help!!

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.