Why is wireguard slower than OpenVPN for me?

My current vpn service seems to be opposite of what many are saying. OpenVPN udp seems to average 2x the speed over wireguard. Any idea why?

same for me. My speeds always are better on openvpn.

1 Like

Glad it’s not just me

1 Like

Same happens to me on IPVanish, with the opposite on Surfshark. Wireguard is not good for me on IPV, but flies on SS. I’m not sure I fully understand why this is the case for me, but I use SS (Wireguard) now.

1 Like

It’s because of your internet provider. Some work better with UDP, some with TCP and some are better with wireguard.

2 Likes

I use torguard currently torguard OpenVPN is my best option. Surfshark wireguard is better than surfshark OpenVPN

1 Like

That’s interesting to know. I never knew ISP had anything to do with it. I only thought it had to do with VPN server and encryption power of the device being used.

Nope. Your internet provider and their infrastructure are how you get internet. No 2 ISPs have the same coding
Your ISP still sees some information because your service provider connects you to the websites you want to visit. You send it a data package, which works as a request, and the ISP sends it to the correct destination. When you connect to a VPN, you tell it to send that request to the VPN server.

But from that point on, the VPN server takes over the package, and the ISP will never know its final destination.the ISP sees the following information when you use a VPN:

The IP address of the VPN server
The timestamp of when you connected
The port your VPN protocol is using
The amount of data you’re sending or receiving
Encrypted and unreadable data traveling between you and the VPN server setup. So some work better with a certain protocol.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Yes it definitely does that you