Why do 4K videos lock up on my Shield Pro?

Yep, could do 1080p and then use Nvidiaā€™s AI enhancer.

2 Likes

also upgrade your hdmi cables for 4k

1 Like

Yep, I got the best 4K cables (at reasonable price on Amazon) i could find.

4 Likes

I do use the AI enhancer, but not sure if it makes that big a difference. Perhaps I am not using it correctly though.

2 Likes

Did you try changing your VPN Protocol? That was causing buffering/freezing issues for me on my firestick. I changed protocol fro recommended to UDP and its worked fine for weeks now.

1 Like

You should have absolutely no problem streaming a 4K vid with 140 Mbps down on a Shield Pro. Therefore, I would be looking for other reasons you are having difficulty. As someone else mentioned try picking a different stream and source.

Btw, you never did mention what provider package you have installed.

2 Likes

Good point! I was using Express, but just changed to JakedUp and Bouncy.

I have been fooling around with the IPVanish VPN protocolsā€¦ not much improvement found. However, I havenā€™t figured out how to select an individual IPVanish server (with the lowest ping). Do you know how to do that?

1 Like

Jaked up with or without Orion is all that you need. Bouncy isnā€™t good. Express packages are far superior to Kosmos.

Best Syncler Provider Packages for Kosmos & Express 2022

I have the exact same problem,.for the last couple of months. Only locks up toward the end of the movie Iā€™m watching on 4K. Using 4k cables, good connection and switched between MX, VLC and Exo. Using SurfShark and even tried Nord. Never locks up if I use a 1080 file.

If your setup is 4k friendly all the way around, then this issue starts to point at the source. Even with RD, you can get less than perfect source links that the bitrate may not keep up with the stream. Iā€™m not sure what app (or device) you are using to stream these, but a tweak like increasing ā€œbuffer cacheā€ could help the stream keep up, just enough. May be worth experimenting, but I would definitely experiment with the different kinds and types of sources to see which ones work best for you. Trying Orion could help too.

*Another thought - I would recommend using ethernet on devices you are planning on heavily streaming 4k videoā€¦if it is feasible. Hopefully a gigabit port.

If it is Kodi, this may help, I use it and never have buffering on 4k, good luck :+1:

2 Likes

How does one increase ā€œbuffer cacheā€? Is Orion a Kodi addon? I am using an ethernet to USB adapter on my TV to increase speed there.

1 Like

I like FEN. Will the Crew Wizard work on different Kodi addons?

1 Like

It sure will.(Post must be at least 20 characters)

I use the crew wizard on numerous kodiā€™s and I also set it to clear cache, thumbs and packages on every startup.

Go to Device Preferences-Display & Sound-Advanced Display Settings-

1. Make sure match content colour space is disabled.
    2.Custom Display Mode-Filter by colour space & select - YUV 422 12-bit Rec.709
  2. Then go to Display Modes & select 3840x2160 YUV 422 12-bit Rec. 709

Dont need a VPN with RD

2 Likes

You do what you think is right then. Nobody is going to change my mind that it is the right thing for me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.