What is the difference between streaming devices?

So I had a fire tv box. It bit the dust. I’ve been following troypoint for a while, but I still feel I don’t quite have the grasp of cord cutting. When I was able to download an apk, it was with so/so results. When I would download a kodi build, the majority of apps within would fail to launch or would just downright not work. I’m not sure if I was doing something wrong or what (Troy’s instructions were pretty clear and to the point). So now I am wondering two things:

1. Continue with a new fire tv (Though I hate the pre-installed amazon junk it comes with) or buy something like the Nvida shield everyone seems to be talking about, or something akin to this.

2. With the Nvida shield (or other android based device), will I be able to download the same type apks that Troypoint offers tutorials on (i.e. does the rapid installer, etc, still work for this)? Or is this something completely different. Hate to sound like such a newb, but with a vast array of info on the web, it can be overwhelming and begins to seem like I’m reading a foreign language.

2 Likes

The Shield is the caddy of Android devices. Simply great. Now that I’ve said that though, the recent update has been an unparalleled disaster so hold off on that. There is a thread discussing rooting devices and Unoos seems to be just below the Shield for great streaming specs. So use the search. Read Troy’s reviews, and watch some of the vids. Noone can truly tell you what is best for you, it all depends on your skill set and your personal requirements. So many questions we can’t answer. Movies? Sports? Recording? Games? You get the picture. The final decision is yours and yours alone. But searching the site will certainly aid you in deciding.
I would like to add though, that if you want to jump in and learn, without breaking the bank, then IMHO the Firestick 4K Max is inexpensive and a great starting point.

5 Likes

Thanks! I’ll look into that and continue looking around the site. I don’t really game, I just stream shows/movies and would also like to learn more about iptv services. Like most people here, I’m just sick of the cable companies :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well we have tons of IPTV info, free stuff. We do not discuss iptv providers here. TiViMate is one of the most popular IPTV Players and Powerfader and I have found a ton of free stuff to add into it. So search, search, search. Lots of vids and posts to watch and read. Welcome to the “Insider”.
Have Fun and STREAM ON.

3 Likes

It boils down to Costs vs. Quality

A good budget device is a Firestick. A quality streaming device is the Nvidia Pro.

There are tons of choices, but so far, The Nvidia Pro still is the King of the Heap.

Ugoo AM6-B is a close 2nd to Nvidia, but still came in 2nd…not 1st. But with the recent Nvidia Android 11 update that may change! The clock is ticking as Nvidia sleeps…:zzz: :sleeping:

4 Likes

@Velvet Hey Velvet…what are your streaming needs? Live tv…current movies…do you want to mirror cable/dish without being tied down with them…just you or providing for a family? Lot’s of variables involved, depending on your media needs…we’re all cord cutters, but we’re all different in how/what we watch. Lots of devices out there to stream with too…& they will all download just about any apk you want…which one to get depends on your wallet & preferences.

2 Likes

i have smart tv but still use the fire cube for kodi and tivimate i use roku ultra for amazom prime and netflix and some free roku apps for years i had weak internet roku has a better buffer in it for amazon and nexflix you need less speed to stream those
on my cube i am using kodi zenon build with read debrid and trakt used to stroggle lad to llok for streams no more than 1080 ( now with starlink and 250 mps can run anything ) but i got used to the cube and roku set up it works for me the cube aslo runs my sound systems from the controls ------- i have in fla the 2017 shield and its good but that same one today is 350

3 Likes

Really just apk and kodi when I can find a decent build. However, the builds I have dl’d in the past never seem to work correctly. I’m not quite sure what the issue there is, and after spending hours online trying to learn more about cable cutting I seem to be no further along! I want to venture into iptv as well. I had the fire tv box, but it bit the dust.

2 Likes

kodi with diggz zenon set up with real debrid works great i have used kodi for years and loved xanax but xenon blows it away but for kodi to work well you need real debrid you are fooling yourself if you think you dont need it

xenon includes iptv sports adult stuff movies tv its amazing i run it on a fire cube here in the mtns and back in fla on a shield

5 Likes

I guess I need to look more into real debrid. I had tried xanax but had the same issue as with other builds: half the items on the build would not load/work. Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

One of my first android tv devices was an Nvidia Shield. The Shield always comes in at number one with most reviewers due to benchmark test scores and hardware, but that isn’t the only factor to base your decision on what android device to get for your specific needs. The recent firestorm over the latest Nvidia Android 11 update is a testament to that. An operating system that allows for maximum control, freedom and device access by you along with shutting out interference from media tech companies is the most important feature of an android device for many of us. Proprietary closed or semi closed operating systems, with bloatware you can’t get rid of and limited outside app access is a big negative for folks like me. There are plenty of excellent quality alternatives to Nvidia Shield.

3 Likes

^^^^^ What he said :+1:

1 Like

2017 shield was 200 new it came with game controller it does a good job but that same unit with contoller is 329 today the cube is 119 or if you catch a sale 79 bucks and it works well
all our tvs in our home are only streaming fla home as 4 tvs our cabin 3 tvs the cubes at 79 is much more affordable

5 Likes

The Nvidea Shield is a fast mean machine…but I tend to think its geared more to gamers, and large media enthusiast with server control etc. I agree with what you say one box might not be right for everyone…choose wisely.

3 Likes

Agree with this conversation. I think it was @Jayhawks659 who posted something awhile back and said, that unless you need storage space, or using high end sound system, you don’t need a Shield if all you are going to do is stream. That advice alone moved me into a different direction and after some research, settled on a Ugoos. Just my two cents.

4 Likes

That’s correct. I love my Shield, but not everyone needs that much.

1 Like

Regardless of how much you spend on a streaming device…Nvidia, Ugoos or Firesticks…if you “cut the cord”, you’re still saving $$$ year over year…& having more fun doing it.

5 Likes

I have to Minix boxes, UH9 and U22. I love my UH9 and have had no issues with it. However Minix doesn’t seem to want to support it that much anymore. They are pushing the 22 and 22max. The 22 has some issues that have been a problem for many, thus gets poor marks. I haven’t had the issues because I’m not so picky. I wouldn’t recommend the 22 for now until they fix the problems. Overall I’m content with my 2 boxes

1 Like

I agree. I bought mine for streaming but noticed a lot of people bought them because they were serious about this device’s gaming capabilities. I ended up selling mine to a friend who is very happy with it. I’m just more fussy about my “operational control” over my android devices.

4 Likes

I have had 2 of the T95Z Plus Android boxes for quite a while now. Cost wise not a lot more than the amazon Firestick 4K and you are getting a box with a lot more RAM and Storage than the Stick. Also has built in Ethernet Ports as well. These boxes are NOT The Shield, work great, and are very well priced. As there are many different manufacturers of these please read the reviews on Amazon and make sure you are getting the latest Android OS and Processor

1 Like