Vilfo or new gen Asus for VPN router

Is Vilfo still top solution for VPN router or are the new Asus (and similar mfg) quad core routers the better solution. I have been using IPVanish on my gen 2 fire box for a couple of years and realize there is room for improvement.

Currently looking at AX86U or AX92U, but budget allows Vilfo. Just want to be happy with decision.

1 Like

@Desmo888

Welcome to our community!

Here’s a link and the Asus one troy mentions seems to be the best setup for vpn on the router.

But vilfo is still good.

1 Like

Thank you, TP-Draco, for the quick response with links. Since that topic and Troy’s Vilfo review are approaching 1 year old, just want to get, hopefully, a few insider’s experiences.

One more note about my set-up; Gaming/streaming (5 devices) will be hardwired, everything else will be Wi-Fi (6 devices).

@Desmo888

Understandable.

I will leave it open as others chime in on this. Lots of good options. I haven seen with Asus and tp link.

1 Like

I have the AX86U…best purchase I made this year. I had the ax56u and it just wasnt enough and after a few monthes of tweaking it I realized it just wasnt possible and on recomendation from a friend I grabbed the ax86u and WOW what a difference. Blazing fast and I flashed it with asus-merlin firmware. This has solved most if not all streaming issues. I took the ax56u router and added it into a mesh network behind the ax86u. You will not be disapointed with it as your selection. Fast…real fast :sunglasses:

2 Likes

TXRon, thanks for the info and turning me on to Merlin, that’s super sweet!

2 Likes

yep, The merlin firmware is built upon the actual asus firmware. Just tweaked a bit and offers better vpn functions(imho)…etc. Im actually running the curent pre-beta right now without issues.

2 Likes

So the next, obvious and inevitable question, “How are your speeds with and without VPN?”

Great without vpn no issues , with vpn (surfshark) my dls hover around 200mb dependingon server in use. I find my speeds are actually much faster with servers further from me. I would say a slow server would be around 140 down and the better servers hover the 200 mark.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.