Video/Audio Importance Poll

I’m curious to hear your thoughts on the video/audio technology offered by the various streaming devices on the market.

Here is a poll.

How important are video/audio formats to you? Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision, HDR, HDR10+, Dolby Atmos audio, etc.?

• Very Important
  • Important
  • Not Important

0 voters

5 Likes

I have sold my entire audio collection i had, polk audios, B&W, Martin logins and more… i have kids now and i just now 2 or 2.1 channel audio, for me not important. If i still habe my 5.1 and 7.1 one id be having a different discussion. True audio and sound from well built speakers and setup properly is amazing.

But im a poor dad now and lucky if my kids dont destroy my tv lol. I do however love visual qualities of oled.

3 Likes

I agree, for me it’s all about the visual, not the audio. But my hearing isn’t that good from years of being a roady.

2 Likes

I don’t use my home theater sound system while streaming tv and movies. I only use my home theater audio while watching physical media I really like such as dvds, which generally have superior audio quality and options than internet streams. I therefore don’t think audio while streaming is important except that it be clear and at an acceptable signal strength so I don’t have to turn my tv volume way up.

2 Likes

Hey…I was thrilled with color tv & stereophonic sound when they came out…so anything more than that is lagniappe. And like Miki says…way too many loud live concerts & honky-tonks back in the ole days :exploding_head: :hear_with_hearing_aid:

1 Like

Immediately moved my fire stick 4k to the bedroom and bought a shield for the living room when I found out the stick wouldn’t passthrough TrueHD audio.

yea too much tinnitus.

1 Like

Visual is far more important than quality audio. My hearing isn’t great and I’m now using subtitles more than before

1 Like

Dittos, @TP-Dracoo & @Remy …I came back from Germany in the late 70’s with mega$$$ worth of quality audio equipment (it was inexpensive over there while in the army) , but now I’m a “hard of hearing” grandpa, & my hearing aids can’t filter audio properly anyhow… but I love good video quality…

Depending on device and space. In my opinion Visual, and Audio are very important to watch a good movie or TV show.

1 Like

I like a great visual, decent size picture and a good sound. I have a 50’ TV with 4K and use a panasonic sound bar. Not sure of the tech details of sound, I think its loud enough when I want it, decent bass and good EQ. I think for general home use, we can all get a bit too picky with the tech details of AV equipment. My brother has a huge TV in his living room and an all bells and whistles surround sound set-up. Its too much for the size of the room. His sight with his 6+ glasses and average hearing are getting a severe overload of detail to process. He also hooks up and old VCR and moans when the picture and sound quality are gash :grin: I try explaining its like putting a 1ltr 4 cylinder engine in a performance car body, its not gonna do it! :joy::joy: but hey ho.

4 Likes

Both are important in that compression formats are squeezing more & more data into smaller packages. This trend has the potential to render many affordable devices obsolete.

1 Like

I’m old enough to remember pumping up rabbit ears with tinfoil to improve the signal, so ALL of today’s tech is wonderful to me! :star_struck:

4 Likes

Im all for audio. I love a great movie with greater sound effects. I have what i call my threatre room with an 86in tv and the full dolby atmos setup.

2 Likes

I do not get all that hyped up over sound formats. I have a sound bar that I currently use and it works just fine for anything I watch. There 70 year old ears cannot differentiate the frequencies as well as they used to 50 years ago when they were getting hammered, along with me, at Peter Frampton and Moody Blues concerts.

5 Likes

My left ear has about 70% hearing loss even with my hearing aid… using audio enhancements sometimes make it hard to hear everything correctly because of it.

I think it’s less important to younger generations. They like streaming on little screens like their phones and ipads and. I’m OLD school, I’ve invested in high end speakers, audio and video equipment and I want to get the most out of it I can. Streaming services come close but they can’t deliver the audio/visual punch a physical 4K DVD can produce. I can still remember my grandson making me turn off Jurrasic Park because he thought the dinosaurs were actually in the house!

1 Like

You are right on. I am an old school audiophile and have a Pioneer component system for home theatre. Most sound formats that are streamed are insufficient for home theatre to take advantage. On the other hand, physical media like dvds, Blu-ray and 4k have numerous soundtrack options, including Dolby atmos, DTS, etc. with lossless audio if one is really into surround sound. Generally, the soundtracks being streamed can’t compete, at least not yet.

1 Like

When I was a kid in the 40’s and 50’s, my Dad bought a plastic screen that was blue on top, reddish orange in the middle and green on the bottom so we could watch in color. All it did was make all the “snow” as we called it, pretty. Never had a good picture from the 2 channels we received. Had to use 2 different antennas. Dad tried everything available at the time so I love great audio and video. Now that I am up in years, I gotta use subtitles because the background music overrides the voices. I hate that.