Using VPN on Firestick and Amazon Prime

I recently inadvertently left my IPVanish VPN running on my firestick and switch to Amazon Prime account. A notice appeared warning me that I was using a VPN which is not allowed and I could not reconnect my firestick to my existing network. I tried scanning for networks under settings and still I could not see my 5G network at all. I had to reboot my stick several times before it could see my network. How do streaming services recognize a VPN is in use, and does this now mean I can’t access my amazon content whilst abroad?

1 Like

https://support.ipvanish.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013688273-How-to-Use-IPVanish-Split-Tunneling-to-View-Amazon-Prime-Video-

3 Likes

Hello gpleavin,

You need to disconnect IPVanish before using the FireTv or Stick. When using the other apps such as Cinema or Area51 re-connect IPVanish you should be all set

4 Likes

I’ve used the “scramble” option under IPVanish settings to get past similar warnings with apps like Netflix.

3 Likes

Go to setting, My device and restart. Now don’t connect to IPVanish but go straight to Amazon Prime and you should be all set.

I have found that it’s good to restart every so often. Things seem to run better. Hope this helps, Good Luck.:boom:

2 Likes

Thank you much appreciated, do you have any insight as using a VPN with prime in other countries or do IPVanish have specific servers I should be using whilst travelling to access my prime account?.

Not sure about other countries. With IPVanish you can pick what ever country you want to utilize. Good luck.

This is good information. I knew not to have IPVanish connected when using prime video’s and Netflix. Never understood why. But thanks for all the great information because I need more information on this.

tcroft IPVanish will work with Nextflix you just have to allow it in IPVanish settings “Tunneling”

3 Likes

When using your firestick or device, if it is an amazon specific application, IE Movies, TV shows, etc found on the Prime network, your VPN will not allow you to view such media unless the VPN such as IPVanish, MUST be turned off. This happens because the VPN works so well that it places your IP somewhere in Canada or out of the USA and amazon considers you out of the country and media can not be accessed.

2 Likes

Like others have said, you can’t use IPVanish with Amazon streaming devices. I heard it’s because when you mask your IP, Amazon can’t verify your identity for your account and registered device.

Also, you can’t use your device in a country it isn’t registered in. You can’t access Amazon content overseas, but you can use IPVanish to access KODI, Cinema, etc. Even direct into most networks web sites, ie. SYFY.com.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting. Great explanation and it is exactly what I do. I gave your post a LIKE. Welcome to the forum.

2 Likes

We actually turn it off when not in use. It seems that it can automatically stay on even after a reset. If this happens we go to settings; clear cache; then force stop. That usually works for us.

2 Likes

Some particular apps will make you turn off you VPN, in order to access certain forks. Turm your VPN off, access the server then turn your VPN back on ASAP. It’s been known to work on occasion, depending on how the worm is created. Once youre in, turn the VPN on. Better to be safe than sorry.

Exactly what I do. Very good advice!

1 Like