Two 27" hp monitors, only one VGA connection on computer

My wife needs the two monitors to show separately while on the computer. The problem is only one VGA connection into the computer. I’ve seen all kinds of VGA splitters, but heard they only mirror the two screens?? If anybody has any info or links to what i can buy or do would be so greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!

@hbublow

Vga splitter.

1 Like

Thinking you have to get a video card with dual outputs…but not altogether positive…to run separate video.

1 Like

Personally I would dump the vga card and get a dual hdmi output card. vga is old tech. Should be a matter of just unplugging from the mobo and plugging a new vid card in. But always best to check what mobo you have and what options you have for peripherals.

3 Likes

@hbublow

Sorry forgot to mention, not all just mirror the connection, you can set them up as duel monitors.

But you might want to look into duel hdmi for separate connection.

3 Likes

lol. Great minds and all that.

1 Like

I haven’t had a desktop PC since I 1st got into puters…nothing but laptops…so I don’t even have the room to do a whole lot of upgrading without pulling out my drill & power saw. :astonished:

1 Like

Thank you all. I will try the vga splitter first and see if it works. If not i will look into the hdmi card thing. I knew i could count on y’all! Thank you.

The problem is with only 1 channel out and splitting, you will just get 1 channel on 2 monitors.

1 Like

@Miki

You can configure what the desktop does with the monitor in control panal settings, so the backup monitor can be used for other icons and display stuff.

I used to have a tri setup.

2 Likes

Ok, but is that with a single vga output using a vga splitter? I’ve seen tri screen setups but it’s usually one display spread across 3 monitors, not 3 different feeds over a single output. But I haven’t used a desktop in over 15 yrs, so tech has advanced since then. Just not sure on a vga plug.

1 Like

I’m willing to bet if your computer only has one VGA output that it’s time for an upgrade. As stated above, you need to have a graphics card that can support dual monitors. If you have other video outputs then you need to use a combination of the two. Get the right cables. Your other option is an external GPU. But those typically require a Bluetooth, USB-C, or Thunderbolt 3 connection. Which you probably don’t have if all you have is a single VGA output.

3 Likes

Ok. Just realized I have a DVI connection and tried a dvi to hdmi cord to the second monitor and it works like it should. Separate visuals on the 2 monitors. One connected to the vga, and the second to the dvi. I really do appreciate all the help and suggestions. You guys are great and super knowledgeable! Thank you!

4 Likes

hard to believe they still put vga outputs on pcs :upside_down_face:

3 Likes