Trying to connect the surround system to the tv output

Want to connect speakers (5.1) to the output on my Samsung smart tv and the only output for audio is a fiber optic. The cable from the subwoofer is a 3.5 mm jack. Any help out there?

@banksent1 What AVR do you use mine is a Pioneer and I have an Optical in just like my soundbar has in the den. What output do you have besides the Optical. An adapter or converter may be needed. Send me the receiver model and I will look it up and give you a better answer.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me. I’m still using the one provided by DirecTV. I am going out of town now but will get the information to you when I get back home.
Thank you

If you’re using a DirecTV box just hook HDMI from that to receiver and output receiver to one of your HDMI on T.V…

I used an fiber optic audio cable to the TV and it worked like a charm!

@tdtuck01 @e.nexpose.a @tdtuck01 See.I told you. I like Optical. Clean and easy but if you have an HDMI and it is ARC(AudioReturn Channel) compatible, that is the better way to go in most situations. Just hooked up my new Denon last night. My Pioneer was 5.1. The Denon is 9.2 but for now I am using it as a 7.1. I still have 5 speakers and a sub but now I an bi-amp the Klipsch Reference spears in the front left and right. I went with HDMI because I could do more with it and the AVR does upscaling and processing of cideo as well as audio. Hope this helps someone.

1 Like

@bennievcrowell it sounds like you have an amazing sound system! I would love an upgraded one, but my wife thinks they are too loud to even use. I just have a little sound bar, and subwoofer Samsung model to match my Samsung tv, and my wife is always telling me to turn it down! Lol

1 Like

Soundbar technology is pretty good nowadays with a good sub. I used the Klipsch R20b for a year and enjoyed music and movies very much. At the time, I was in a small apartment with my wife and even then, she said it was too loud. So I kept my Pioneer amp and speakers in storage.

Now I use a Denon 4500H 9.2 amp to run a 5.1 system. Two of the surround channels are used to bi-amp the front speakers as they are large floorstanding models . The other two surround channels run a pair of Pioneer stereo speakers in another room. Eventually I will use those channels for height and put the Pioneer receiver in the other room.

For speakers, I went with Klipsch front, center and rear surround speakers. I use a single Klipsch 12" 400 watt sub. My source material are FLAC files. What’s good about this setup is you don’t have to turn it way up for it to sound good. Listening at low levels actually sounds great. When I need it, the power is there. Play something your wife likes once in a while and she won’t complain as much.!

1 Like

You know, my wife was the same way! Constantly telling me that the bass was too heavy on my Klipsch R20B soundbar .
In my mixes I started putting in groups she liked and she began to appreciate the quality of sound I was listening to. She realized her songs sounded better with sub bass.

We moved to a bigger sound resistant place and I subsequently went with a Ppioneer amp with Sony 3 way front speakers plus centre and surround speakers.
My latest system is a Denon 4500H amp with floor standing front speakers and center and surround speakers from the Klipsch Reference line. The sub is a 400 watt Klipsch 12 inch.
NOW it is loud!

2 Likes

Agree with you on the sound bar technology. They’ve really come a long way, with soundbar/subwoofer combinations. My system even has a subwoofer, which connects through Bluetooth (Sweet!). They’re easy to install, and you don’t have to go through the hoops of installing 6 or more speakers!! Give me a clean soundbar and a subwoofer that can handle the power of the lows, and I’m set. I’m more of a bass, lower end person myself, so I was thrilled to see subwoofers emerge in sound systems. Years ago, I thought Bose for example, sounded tinny, even though people would rave about how good they sounded. My old boss, who use to work selling systems like Bose, use to kid about it, and would say, “If it says Bose, it has no lows”. Lol!!! Little weak on the low end. Now though, Bose systems sound 100% better, ever since they incorporated a subwoofer with their systems!! Amazing how a good subwoofer, can make all the difference in the world, even if your other speakers may be of average quality!!! I had to laugh, when you referenced your wife. My wife is not a fan of a good, strong subwoofer, either. She just doesn’t appreciate the finer things in life!!! Lol!

2 Likes

Hello @MaverickCoast. Me, I fell in love with the Klipsch R20B Soundbar and 150 watt sub.
The sub bass goes all the way down to 20Hz. It is amazing for movies or music… As always my wife said turn it down!

1 Like

Guess subwoofers are a man thing! Lol.

2 Likes

Lol. I guess so. My wife even hates the subwoofer in my tahoe too!!!:rofl::grin::rofl::joy:

2 Likes