The Nividia Sield

Congrats! some people are unhappy with the Nvidia shield remote specifically the slider for volume control and no power button. I just ordered a $10 remote for the Nvidia shield the review is here $10 Voice Remote Control for NVIDIA SHIELD / XIAOMI MI BOX / ANDROID TV BOX - YouTube

1 Like

I’ll let you know how it works for me.

Thank you so much @Quazar for the good advice. I bought the Q5 remote at $17.45. The $10 is an amazing deal! Looks just like the one I bought. The Shield remote is fine for setup and to get started but it is missing critical buttons. Namely a “Power” button and physical “Volume Control” buttons. You’re left hanging with that one. I haven’t gotten it yet but will in coming weeks. I know it is going to work great.

The q5 looks exactly like the remote I got. Interesting. Just a heads up it takes 3 AAA batteries that aren’t shipped with it.

1 Like

@ I hope you are back using your Shield again. Mine came yesterday and I set it up and was watching movies in no time. I love it. They are very different from other Android boxes and Fire TV/Stick and there is a learning curve to make the switch.
I suggest people learn a less intimidating device first. Learn how to jailbreak it, sideload add-ons, try different builds and skins. Then when you understand the concept, move up to a Shield. Hope yours is back up and running. I love mine!

if it is movies you’re trying to transfer you might look into setting up a Plex server on your computer for your Android will be able to play the movie straight from your computer

1 Like

Thanks for the advice @Quazar . Already did that. On my i7 PC, I run a Plex Media Server instance on a dual R.A.I.D. array of 1 Terabyte Solid State Drives with NVIDIA Shield as the client. I also run JRiver Media Center 25 for high quality FLAC audio files with Chrome as the client…
The Shield will be used as a secondary movie source where I will download movies. On the Shield, I use the Q5 remote with a fast 8 Terabyte USB 3.0 drive (took the better part of a day to format). Solid State Drive would be preferable but cost is prohibitive. System is snappy with endless storage to last me for many years to come.

Get your Shield up and running yet? I saw the video on the ATV launcher and plan to try it but for now I am working with another launcher. How could you abandon the Shield? My experience has been clean, buffer free video.

Once you learn how to customize it, the thing is amazing. I removed unused channels, added apps to the Home screen, arranged apps according to the way I use them with IPVanish first, Kodi 18.1, Cinema HD APK,Rapid App Installer, Downloader and Google all following left to right. Yours should not look like mine. Customize it to make it yours.

Welcome to the forum! Check out the post by @a1997star. I just got mine and in the past week, have had no problems with Cinema HD and Bee TV. Just smooth, buffer free video streams using real-debrid links.

Amazing tip! Didn’t know how to do it until I got my own Shield. Tried what you suggested and just moments ago, transferred my first file. It works! The USB option is quick and easy but ftp is so cool. Thanks so much for sharing. Off to a good start here.

Let me know how it works out for you and don’t forget to add the Real Debrid, that makes a big difference as well and for only $19 for 6 months it’s well worth it. I’m watching Game Of Thrones right now on a
5 gig stream from Real Debrid and absolutely no buffering. :v:t6:

1 Like

Speeding up nvidia Shield

Becoming a Developer:
One trick you can use is to become a Developer and change Animation transition speeds. You can do this by:

1. Going to Settings (gear icon)
  2. Go down to About and select it.
  3. Then go down to Build. Click on Build 7 times with your input device. When you get close, a popup will say “You are almost a Developer”. When you have hit it enough times (7) a popup will say “You are now a Developer”
  4. ! Hit the Back button to return to previous screen.

Speeding up Shield:

1. Go to the new menu item - Developer Options and select it.
  2. Scroll way down until you see three settings - “Window animation scale”, “Transition animation scale” and “Animator duration scale”.
  3. Go in and individually change each one of these settings from their default of one second to point five second (half a second).
  4. Select the Back or Home button to get out of the Developer Options.

What you have done is you made animated transitions happen faster thus giving you the illusion that the interface is much snappier. If you really want a snappy interface, turn off all settings to make transitions instant. No fun though. Animated transitions are eye candy. Half a second instead of one second will achieve dramatic results.
Try it but be careful not to change anything else unless you know what you are doing. Developer Options should come with a warning - “Danger, Danger, Danger”. Just be careful here.

Has anyone tried different launchers with the Shield? Which are your favorites? I tried several light launchers and was happy for a while. Then boredom set in. A lot of the launchers I tried had few settings to customize. So I tried the ATV launcher that is Troypoint’s favorite. I see why. Instantly I was pleased with the view of my apps that I could customize. Think I will stick with this one for a while because it allows for customization.

Had a problem adding Widgets though. I get an error screen. Anyone else run into difficulty adding Widgets? What could be my problem?

Speaking of replacement remotes which work great with the Shield, check into this one. I’ve got four. One for each Shield TV, and one for each FireTV. I never use the stock remote with my Shield or Fire TV, but use this instead. It has more features which work on the Shield, compared to the FireTV. Volume control won’t control the volume on the F.T., for example. Best part is, is if you get the one with the backlight, you can use it in the dark. Also, be sure you get the one with Bluetooth. Charges with a older size (bigger) USB plug, which comes with it! Fantastic remote!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Rii-FMKBTL1-IV1-Wireless-Bluetooth-Backlight/dp/B01GCPVZDW&ved=2ahUKEwjU3tiXn4LiAhUFP6wKHYIdDMoQFjAAegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw31O_4B6sQSjgibja8XcUB1

Rii FMKBTL1-IV1 i8+ BT Mini Wireless Bluetooth Backlight Touchpad Keyboard

1 Like

I already have that paired with the Shield. I was only using it to enter text for use inside of Kodi or to sideload APKs. Never occurred to me to use it as a remote. I’m trying it tonight and will see if indeed can be used as the replacement remote for the Shield. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip on the remote. I tried it last night and it works great! I still like the idea of a conventional remote I can use with one hand. Good backup remote until I get the one that @Quazar uses, For $10 I can’t go wrong.

Blockquote

1 Like

You are correct about getting a keyboard/remote that is backlit. I used to use one years ago.The one I have now is the same as yours but is not backlit. I have to keep turning the light on to use it. I’m within 30 days of purchase so I bought the one you have and am sending mine back for a refund at Amazon. Keep the suggestions coming. Everyone benefits by you participation here.

1 Like

I decided last night to change my nvidia Shield configuration. Instead of using my 8Tb HDD on the Shield, I have now allocated that as my library. This includes music, movies, videos and concerts.

On the Shield, I set up my 500Gb Solid State Drive as primary storage. An instant success! My Shield performs even better than it did with the Hard Disk Drive. I figured it would.

I’m now using ATV Launcher Pro due to it’s ability to create folders. It works great! Everyone complains about the remote. It is not really that bad. I have been able to do most things with it except power off. I am still switching to the Q5 when it arrives. Should be any day now.

Has your remote from Canada arrived yet? I am still waiting for mine with batteries in hand.