The death of Android TV

6 Likes

Wonder how and when this will affect the Nvidia Shield? Didn’t see it mentioned, but it’s a very popular AndroidTV device.

4 Likes

Personally I don’t see it and the article is most likely a google eco-sytem dweller. Now I think at present google tv is good and its nice to see google spend more time on it however this also means the clamps are comming down on altercation. They like amazon want your attention and locked in to them and for that very reason I see android booming in the future and is a reason ive always liked stock android. Presently stock serves as a backup but its their and I always see a place for it.

14 Likes

They really aren’t that different, but this article is based on the opinion of a 9to5 Google employee. He might be right, but he might be wrong.

9 Likes

I don’t trust anything coming from a “Google wants to rule the world” employee

4 Likes

Naw, googletv is just android anyway… Android is the software… So i dont see that happening.

10 Likes

The reviewer or reporter is simply telegraphing where google tv wants to end up rather than objectively comparing it to android. I certainly am content to just maintain and use my current apps installed on my android 9 o/s, which work perfectly. I don’t trust google any further than I could throw it.

3 Likes

However you chose to interpret it, Android TV is gone and replaced by Google TV. I believe the KM7 will have Google TV. Of course Android is still the base but now it’ll be GoogleTV, FireTV and stock Android. AndroidTV will be religated to a small section of the streaming world. I just wonder about future AndroidTV updates now. From the half dozen articles I’ve read, they make me wonder with the pre-installed GoogleTV apps will this be the same as the Amazon bloatware? Inquiring minds want to know. :tv:

3 Likes

As long as you can use stock android, things won’t get too bad.

6 Likes

I’m just curious why we haven’t seen this reported by anyone but 9to5 Google. If his opinions in this article is fact, you would think it would be all over the place talking about the death of AndroidTV.

3 Likes

Oh I can see a huge number going to devices with stock Android if Google follows Amazon’s example. I just wonder what a TV with GoogleTV will look like on the home screen.

1 Like

There are many articles out. I started noticing this about a week ago. Apparently this was first announced in 2020.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter either way, they are both similar. My article searching skills must be really lousy because I tried to find other recent articles from neutral sources just to read up on it but they are all from years ago.

Ya it all depends on how you word your search. AndroidTV won’t truly be gone as the GoogleTV will sit on top of it similiar to an AddOn.

1 Like

I’m sure there will be many changes like this as time goes on. It is hard to say where the turns and bumps in the road will take us. I know we will always have a presence that will try to take away our rights, but luckily we have so many to try and fight back. Although Google TV and Android TV are very similar and doesn’t really matter in the short term, I feel like that is another step towards Big Brother getting its way. Whether we are FireTV, Android TV or stock Android fans, we all lose if we start to lose the customizations that we all love about these options.

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to the reviews that members will post. We get what they give us and then we try to figure out how to make it better for our use.

1 Like

Does not matter, googletv is android tv… to me it’s the same thing. It’s all android technically

3 Likes

A shame it doesn’t matter to you, it does to me. I like the learning and the discovery of what is different and, or, unique to this OS. So we’ll see what the collective discovers and what, if any, new things we can do. Learning keeps me enjoying life.

2 Likes

Why would it matter? I use 2 apps to get everything i need… Deep diving into google tv android tv stock android don’t mean a thing, they all do the same fundamentals minus a few things. Your phones are smart, your tvs are now… watches… lol. It’s all based off one OS. But enjoy your learning.

3 Likes

Thank you. Of course I will keep learning. It’s the intelligent thing to do. Like getting a new car I like to learn how to actually use it and what it can do better or different than my old one. That’s the smart thing to do. Then if problems arrise or a new feature added I have an idea or direction to take on how to resolve the problem or use it properly. All good though, we both do things are own way and of course I’ll always do it my way, nobody else’s. To me it matters and that’s all that counts. Have a good Sunday.