Surfshark on but real IP address showing on troypoint tool box

I have surfshark VPN on but when I go to troypoint toolbox it is showing my real IP address. When I checked what is my IP address it is changed and I did DNS check and no leak. Your toolbox so far seems to be the only one?

try clearing cache and re-boot, re-check

1 Like

TXRon,
Hello and Thank you. I did clear cache on both surfshark and on Chrome and restarted phone and Troypoint toolbox is still showing my real IP address. Weird. As I said when checked what’s my IP it shows a different IP address and just wanted to see so I turned surfshark on my tablet and went to Troypoint toolbox and it shows different IP. So it’s only my phone. So I check DNS leak and no leak. I checked several different IP checking sites and those all show a different IP address than what my real IP address is. Also when I did several different speed tests they also show different IP address. So it seems it is Troypoint Toolbox, I don’t get it and it kind of scares me as that is why I pay for a VPN! I did all of the above on my phone except for what I said I did on my tablet. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy A13 5G. Do u have anymore suggestions?? Please. Thank you and Please advise.

Does your phone use a different browser than your tablet? And Im not on my laptop right now and cant check but I suspect the ip identifying script you are seeing on the toolbox may be running through a surfshark affiliate server or surfshark website. Just a guess. Since you’re connected to surfshark when you check, maybe thats why it shows your real ip? Too early in the morning for me to think clearly, lol.

On my laptop now and looking at the ip identifying script I think it may be more likely that it is getting your real ip address from your cookie. Meaning when you first came to the Troypoint website, a cookie was set on your device (was it your phone?) to identify you, your login name, preferences, etc. I’m thinking when that happened you weren’t using a VPN, so now when you return to the Troypoint website, or pages hosted on it such as the toolbox, it reads from your original Troypoint cookie with your real ip. Possibility.

2 Likes

Run a test HERE, make sure no browser protection other than surfshark is running>>>scroll down to ip address details and make sure no instance of your real ip is showing. Then go HERE and run an extended test. Make sure no local info is present. An additional test can be run HERE.

2 Likes

Hi Shannon, this is a problem with Downloader app. I get the same thing. Install Analiti Speed test and go to VPN section. That will give you better results.

Great links. I’m thinking more people should take advantage of what you posted and use those!

1 Like

Could you please explain a bit further? I don’t understand where the Downloader app comes into the equation. From what it sounded like to me, she was using her Chrome browser to visit the toolbox page. :thinking: Just the part where she said she cleared the cache in Chrome and tried again… of course I’m assuming that’s what she was using, lol.

1 Like

Shayde,

Yes, you are exactly right. I did. Now as far as what he was saying about downloader app…I’m thinking maybe he was talking about the toolbox (being the downloader) and it having a problem. Either way, Thank you to both of you. Shayde I think what you said last night about when I first signed up and it keeping the cookie and that’s a possible reason why when I have surfshark on and going to toolbox it still shows my real IP address (how dare it!!!) Ha ha I’m being funny. I am tending to agree with that assumption as every site show a different (changed) IP address except Troypoint toolbox. That’s what I am hoping. Thank you for helping me and asking questions.

1 Like

TXRon, Thank you so much for the links!!! Kudos to you, Mister, very much appreciated. I did all the checks with those links and everyone of them did show a changed IP address and no DNS leak. So I’m tending to lean with what Shayde said about when I originally signed up inside not have VPN and because of real IP address showing and so now when I visit even when surfshark VPN is on it is still for some reason showing real IP address. I’m hoping that is the reason, it still doesn’t make sense to me as other site show changes ip or real IP depending on whether VPN is on or not. Thank you for taking the time to reply with links for me to check.

2 Likes

Now, to all of you guys that took the time to read what I posted and was asking, I want to say thank you, thank you, and thank you!!! I greatly appreciate that y’all took the time to help me or at least try to help me. I am still rather cautious as not really sure why Troypoint toolbox would use something from previous rather than current??? Thank you, guys and girls, y’all r AWESOME!!!:+1::+1:

2 Likes

Maybe clear cookies in your browser…fire up SS & give it another try :thinking:

1 Like

Yes! That’s exactly how we could figure it out. She needs a cookie manager or extension for her Chrome browser. I have 5 cookies in my browser for troypointinsider.com and troypoint.com. I’m using Firefox though. She’d need to delete all of the reference cookies to these 2 sites to be sure.

I’ve been using CCleaner for decades…clear or keep the cookies I want.

1 Like

So, I’m completely confused now. I have no idea what you’re talking about. What y’all are talking about now is way over my head. If you want me to do something I will do it. However please give me detailed steps. Thank you and please advise.

That would work, sure. Just whatever would be easiest for her to get and use.

We were talking about having you delete the Troypoint cookies from your browser, and then turn your VPN on and go back to the toolbox page and see if it shows your real ip still. Theory testing here, lol.

What device are you using & what browser are you connecting to TPToolbox with?

She’s using Chrome, and she could use the clear cookies option built into the browser but then she’d loose all of her cookies and she may not wanna do that since she might have some website logins that would affect. Browser extension maybe would be easiest? Do you think so?