Surfshark and Microsoft Outlook

I use Microsoft Outlook 2007 as my mail client and with Surfshark I am running in to a problem. I can receive my emails just fine but, when I create an email and then send it I get errors and the message stays in my Outlook Outbox … If I pause Surfshark I can send it and them re establish the VPN connection… The big problem comes when I forget to turn off the VPN to send it… Ok, I’m old give me some slack.

I did contact Surfshark and their response is to change my mail settings and ports from what the one I use which is most common… I am concerned in doing this because we travel and so far I’ve not had any problems with my set up in Outlook 2007 until I use the VPN. Is that an alternate way to approach this…I’ve chatted with Surfshack to discuss this but the only approach they have is change my settings. I wonder if IPvanish would be the same issue?

Microsoft outlook 2007 is very un-secure mail app as well as most microsoft products and it would appear surfshark is blocking common ports used to attack outlook or the client in general. I would guess if you intend to continue using this product would be to split tunnel the app or make port changes within outlook.

2 Likes

TXron, thanks for the reply. for some reason Outlook 2007 isn’t letting me change anything… I guess it’s an old ap that was set up for windows 7 in the days… I have used it for years and have not had to change it… .now I have it on Windows 10 through my Microsoft office app… I will look in to split tunnel I looked at first but got confused, I"l try it again. Thanks is there a tutorial on split tunnel on Surfshark?

I’m sure there is somewhere but basically just look into the app and you will see 2 options, one for bypass or one to route through. Pick your option, for instance bypass and click on all the apps you want to bypass the vpn.

Thanks again, so I went to the vpn settings, I can see where you can bypass an app… unfortunately Microsoft Office or Outlook is not showing up as a app… I’ll keep looking. In the mean time I put Chrome app on my system and I usually surf and go through Chrome while surfing… If I do this I can still use Outlook 2007. If I need I can turn off the chrome app and open up windows with no issue unless I want to use Outlook… Kind of crazy…

yea there are ways around stuff just be careful. Windows is famous for security issues.

Basically you will need to split tunnel as @TXRon said. That outlook is outdated and has flaws that most vpns will cause issues with.

Thanks TPDracoo… I looked at the split option (called Bypass in Surfshark) and you have to see and application and because Outlook is combined or integrated in Office… I don’t see either… Not going to get upset… I’ll figure something out… just thought if there was an easy fix… I’d do it.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.