Stick storage issues

Hello?, DAV01, are u still here?

1 Like

I am still here. I clearly have something wrong with my set up
Despite having all my “non Amazon “ apps installed on a 256gb external thumb drive I can’t even update an app on internal storage. It says not enough storage. I think I must “re-build “ my setup.

I have a 32GB flash drive connected to my Firestick 4K and have all my non-Amazon apps installed on the flash drive. When trying to update some apps (Discovery+, Plex, etc.) from the Amazon app store, I also get an “insufficient memory” message. I’m guessing it’s because the app is installed on the flash drive. I get around the problem by uninstalling the app, and re-installing it from the Amazon app store (updated version). If the app now gets installed on the Firestick rather than the flash drive, I use App Manager in the X-Plore app to copy the installer to the Download folder. I then uninstall the app (again) and re-install it by side loading it via X-Plore. The app is now updated and installed on the flash drive.

2 Likes

If you need extra space a firestick isnt the best option. The stick is a plug and play option with limited space, you only need like 1-5 apps max on it, for me its just 2. Id try getting a device with more interal storage to be honest.

4 Likes

Indeed. That is how I move anything over to my thumb drive. My problem is I can’t get anything new onto the fire stick to then move it! I will try and make some room on the internal storage., But I’m not sure I will be able to find enough!

Using the following method I’ve kept over 3GBs of free space, regardless of any “component” updates Amazon has rolled out. Keep in mind I have a powered USB hub with a 16GB Sandisk 3.0 USB drive attached and a dongle for my 2.4Ghz wireless mini keyboard.
If using an app like ES File Explorer you can open it, go to app>then click on say Amazon Kids> a popup will appear with some choices for you. I click “Uninstall”. Now this will not remove Amazon Kids but will return it to factory stock setup. The stock setup is much smaller. So with Amazon Kids the app is 10.11 MBs and after the “Uninstall” it is now 61.44 kB. A significant space recovery. So now I do this for
Amazon Photos, Aria (AI module) Music, FireTV Player, Alexa Shopping, Live TV, Shop Amazon, Amazon Game Center, Screensaver, Easy Update, and that’s it for me. I don’t use things like shopping, music, live tv or screensaver but you may. If you do then leave the updates in as they will provide additional functions and security.

2 Likes

I’m surprised you have so little space left on your Firestick. I have almost 3.5GB free space on my Firestick. Have you gone into Settings/Applications and deleted the cache from all of the Amazon apps? In addition, I delete the Data on the Amazon apps that I don’t use (Kids, Alexa Shopping, Live TV, etc.). Also, you might try changing your settings to not use the Screensaver. That uses a LOT of data with all the pictures.

1 Like

Brilliant. Thanks very much.

Indeed. Cash and detail where I can I clean up at sometimes clears enough space to get one small app on. I think when I set up the external storage I may have made an error but there are a lot of apps in it that run very well so I’m not mucking about with it. …the previous poster had what seems like a very good solution. Thank you

Clearly I should not dictate my replies. That was supposed to say cache and data

1 Like

If you’re managing to get apps on the “storage” then you have it set up correctly as “internal” storage. Now remember this> apps downloaded from the Amazon app store will be installed onto the Firestick and if an app is coded correctly 3rd party apps will be installed on the usb drive. Some apps can be moved and others can’t. Apps installed onto the usb drive will need to be moved to the Firestick, then updated, and moved back, now that being said some developers do not have “eloquent” code and their apps may not have the coding necessary to move, update, and move back. In these cases you will have to uninstall the app and reinstall. I know it’s inconveniant but with almost every update rolled out our ability to do what we consider “simple” things has improved. One more addition to your knowledge is that even though an app is on the USB drive there will be some app “Data” still stored on the stick. Hope this helps fill in some gaps.

2 Likes

Good info. Thank you

No luck with your solution. I follow the steps that you suggest using ES file explorer I’m offered a delete choice and click on it but the file size doesn’t change and the App remains.
Weird. I even signed up for the premium version of ES file. Thinking that might help but sadly not

The app will remain. If you read the popup you will see that even though you click delete it won’ delete it. Read more and it tells you that it returns it to original factory settings and the original app is much much smaller.

thank you Miki, I am getting results but different from yours…my amazon kids for instance started at about 33mb and was reduced to 10mb You seem to have quite different app sizes ,strange. Nonetheless any gained space is helpful.

That is odd, but don’t forget my 4K Max is over a year old and is an amazon(dot)com stick so it may have older “factory” presets than yours. Still 23 MB of saving on one app is great :+1:

mine is even older I think…can’t remember., but anyway all amazon apps have been reduced a bunch.
Great tip from you …cheers

1 Like

We had same issue with Firesticks-switched to using FireCube and now no slowdown or storage space problem

1 Like

Yup. Considering that route although I’ve managed to improve things substantially. We’ll see how it goes. Thank you

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.