Splitting before OTG at Fire TV

Hello everyone. Recently “cut the cord” and have a problem I’m trying to overcome. Recording with TiviMate Premium, IPTV recordings can be hit and miss if there are stream interruptions (ie. buffering) One way I’ve figured around this is to hard wire the Fire TV, but then I lose the capabilities of having an external USB drive to record to. Does anyone know if there is a cable that would allow a “split” of USB to an OTG cable? This would involve a 3.0 USB Ethernet adapter (hardwire) to a cable that would allow both connectivity to the Fire TV as well as allowing recording to the USB thumb drive being used as an external storage. I just don’t know if inputting two sources into the attached OTG cable will allow 2 way communication with the Fire TV…….one for hardwire IN and one for recording OUT. In my mind, this should work, but I’m not sure. That’s why I’m asking. Please weigh in with your responses as this non-recording issue is maddening. Thanks!

@Homerdaisy

Hello, i would hugly consider this:

Also, if you watch just tv shows and movies id consder a vod style setup so you can watch what you want when you want. Iptv recording is a little unreliable.

That setup probaly be best for your needs, you need good storage.

1 Like

Thanks so much. Troy is such a wealth of information. I’ve followed him for years and learned so much. I’ll give this a go later today. Cheers.

2 Likes

While I appreciate the direction, and it does work, it only works from the laptop IF the laptop is in the same room as the FireTV. I’m still looking for a definitive answer to the question “Would a USB splitter cable work out of an OTG cable, with one USB being a USB thumb drive (acting as an external hard drive) and the other being a USB to Ethernet adapter, allowing for a hard wired FireTV?” In my mind, the recording/playback function from the thumb drive would still work both ways as it does now simply plugged into the OTG cable. Your thoughts?

1 Like

what about a usb hub?

https://www.ugreen.com/products/usb-3-0-hub-with-gigabit-ethernet

1 Like

Oh, I thought of that too, which would do essentially the same as a USB splitter cable, but moreso, WOULD IT WORK? I already have the OTG cable. I would still need the splitter and Ethernet to USB cable for it to be implemented. Plus, this is CAD vs. USD as you posted. H

@Homerdaisy

It should work, but there isnt any garentee that it will. Best case try it. But yes it should.

Keep in mind the more you hook up the more power draw from the unit. Keep things small.

2 Likes

The only reason I put up the ugreen link is because some insider users have used it successfully. I have a hub but use it mostly for my chromebook to transfer pics and vids from my camera, gopro, etc.

1 Like

If you use a USB Hub with ethernet & add devices other than a non-solid state usb3.1 drive, mouse, keyboard - Do Not use the ethernet connection or you will be disappointed.
There is a limit to how much will carry at 1 time on the OTC connection.
It is similar to usb drives on a Smart TV. there are 2 types, 1 is a 500 & the other a 900. The 500 does not handle a usb by ethernet connection well with a 1 gig ethernet. The 900 does but if you also connect a usb hub to the 900 & add both ethernet & a 3.1 usb flash drive even a fast Samsung 64 or 128 gig, you experience slower download speeds & lag for apps installed on the usb flash drive.
I have done all 3.

2 Likes

Good advice all the way around. I’ll take this into consideration and let you know the result.
Cheers! H

1 Like

Hey @Homerdaisy I’ve never tried to do what you’re explaining, so I plain don’t know. I have tried other configurations that didn’t work to my expectations & simply returned the items to Amazon for a refund…I’m close to a UPS store so returns are very easy for me. Just a thought if you want to test your theory :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

@pangaeatech Yah, Amazon is great for returns. I’m pretty sure this would work, but was hoping for someone in the know could shed some light on a setup such as I’ve proposed. Cheers. H

1 Like

Copy that H…@TXRon hasn’t weighed in yet…he’s a real Dr. Frankenstein at fiddling around with all kinds of different gizmos…now that I’ve tagged him maybe he’ll dazzle us with his brilliance…or at the least, baffle us with his bs… :exploding_head: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I opted out due to my issue on going with an otg cable and a Tivi 4k box. Will not work for me… :rofl: 2 cables tried and notta dam thing. So I purchased x-plore and used the wifi to get done what needed. I have also found that the tivo box is using selinux and could be my issue and since it isnt my box I decided against using duct tape and bailing wire and played nice :grimacing: :sweat_smile:

Excuses Excuses :crazy_face: Don’t let it get the better of ya…dive back in show it which way the mop flops. :muscle:

1 Like

I use the UGreen device on 3 different fire stick 4k max and they work like a charm…they need the otg cable…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.