Same problem-Better asked question

Miki,

Be gentle with me. Though I have been around the world of electronic devices for DECADES, I’m still catching up to the lingo.

Based on your reply, I measured the internet speed using Analiti without VPN (see pic below), though I don’t know what you to mean it’s “voluntary”. My thought was that if I wasn’t getting a consistent, strong signal, that the Firestick might auto-reconnect to my VPN, BUT that the system was alerting me to a dropped and restored VPN connection. This is because of the “run a speed test for accurate troubleshooting recommendations” message." What else could generate this message? See below image for question 2,

I already have your suggested “OTG powered hub a 32 GB Sandisk 3.0 USB Drive and put your secondary apps on there.” I am comfortable using the Firestick external ring to select and then click to apply the selected letter or character so no need for a bluetooth keyboard. My question remains can I put the Amazon Silver player on it, and how do I define “secondary apps”? Are they any apps that I installed on the Firestick since I bought it new? With regards to "Keep anything you use regularly like Stremio or TiViMate (Never heard of these apps. What do they do?) on the stick as then the Data transfer between app and the Max (I don’t have a MAX, I have a plain 4K) is faster. Also get Fast Task Killer and run it before a major streaming event to free up RAM? . “Would you be kind enough to explain what you mean by a major streaming?” If I use any other paid subscription service, I can watch 3 hours of football without a single “blip”, but using Amazon Silver to play the same 3 hour game using a IPTV channel (different teams obviously), I’m lucky if I can get 1 1/2-2 hours before I have to go to “Manage Installed Applications”, clear the cache, go back 3 clicks to get back to select the channel, and try to beat any commercials that “pop-up” and consume cache space, and often end up putting my game in a small corner, with the rest of the screen green. Often, I can just switch to another channel, and jump back to my desired channel before the ads pop up. Lately, a popular VPN recommended by TP (starts with N) is running an a huge panel with ads that are nearly impossible to get rid of without switching to another channel (I don’t mean router channel).

So to review

I have factory reset My Firestick 4K.

I have also shut down my Firestick, modem and router just to ensure no fat cache waiting there 2.2GB Free out of 5.34 Available

I have optimized my connectivity by upgrading cables to CAT6

The distance between my modem, router and Firestick 4K is about 10-12 feet and speedtests demonstrate plenty of resource.

The only additions to my post-factory reset are purchased subscription services for my grandchildren (Think Walt)

I continue to get messages to run a speed test “in order to troubleshoot problem” (yellow dot by Managed Installed Applications) even though tests show download speeds are already over 200Mbps consistently

I wondered if using an OTD cable and hub with a USB 32 GB Sandisk 3.0 USB drive would let me install Amazon Silver oris there another recommended player that works with FREE IPTV APPS (that start with “US”) and not use Silver.

That’s all I’m looking for help with. It’s practically an out of the box setup, with high speed and continuous WiFi, and I have watched YouTubes, posted here being careful not to break any rules. And yes, I’m 68. An old dude that enjoys murder mysteries, cape movies ala “Avengers” and comedies like “Chapelle Show” reruns and NY Sports teams. I did not understand most of your reply Miki, which is my fault and I am doing searches to try to figure out what you told me. Maybe gimme another try please…

EDinSC

2 Likes

Sorry Edin. I didn’t want to make a huge reply so I tried to keep it simple. I don’t use “silver” and will have to research what it is. Secondary apps are like analiti and SD Maid. Ones you only use occasionally. Tivimate is the best IPTV player on the market $25/USD for a lifetime sub. You load your IPTV playlists and EPGs into it. Stremio, in my opinion, is the best app for streaming movies and tv series, old or otherwise. I’ll do some research on that popup you’re getting. That speed test it refers to is exactly what I meant when I said “voluntary” as all it does is give you info. I’m not aware of it even being tied to any diagnostic or troubleshooting routines on the 4K. Now you’ll have to read up on adding memory to the 4K as it can be a little tricky. The Max is much easier when it comes to adding memory. So I suspect that troubleshooting routine is being triggered by something outside of the 4k coding or OS. Maybe an app you added. So now I’ll do some more research for you.
All I see for Amazon Silver is a Kindle audio book. So far :laughing:

2 Likes

and fyi. That pic above shows no vpn present and is exposing your real ip. IMHO I would remove the pic. Jus’ sayin’ :eyes:

2 Likes

Good catch TXR, I only looked at the speeds, shame on me.

2 Likes

Thank you.
The reason I’m telling a long story is because when I first joined TroyPoint Insider, I made an error (still don’t know specifically what it was) and re-read the Guidelines again. You’ll notice I’ve avoided using product names etc, because I was banned for 30 days (first strike).

So thanks for your patience.
My IPTV runs on a browser and Amazon Silver is the native browser that comes preloaded and it’s worked for me through every iteration of Firestick from the beginning until about a month ago. As someone who worked in technology for 35 years, I always sought the MOST info I could get about a problem. That is why I provided you with as much info as I felt you could use. Obviously I was wrong. So I’ll try to net it out.

Problem #1 (Firestick is recommending I run speed test to help troubleshoot a problem it apparently sees but I do not).
Steps taken so far:
In our first exchange, you suggested I remove any apps I installed. I reset to factory adding ONLY alaliti and only because that’s what you used. Thus, I wanted to show you two things on that one screen:

1. I consistently get over 400 Mbps w/o VPN, and slightly less with N$$D VPN. (Using $$ to avoid product name)
  2. I get a recommendation to run speed test several times a day. I am alerted by the asterisk in a yellow circle that was also in the screen shot to show the issue.

I searched YouTube and this site before writing my first post about the issue to see if there is an update I might have missed or some other reason another patron might have seen. So that is Problem#1

Problem#2
When using the aforementioned browser, pop up ads abound (lately it appears to be for “Edible Arrangements). They consume my cache and once I hit about 200MB, I have to stop whatever I’m watching and clear the cache. This is especially annoying this time of year during NFL.

I noticed you advised someone else that they could move Amazon Silk to a Thumbdrive connected to an OTD cable. Can I politely ask for your patience and explain how I would move it? I tried using the “move it app” (select apps and use “hamburger” button to move) but I was unable to get the “hamburger” to see the drive. Related: I am not sure why you think I need more memory. I have 2.28GB out of 5.34GB available.

Hope that was brief enough!
Thank you Oh and my name is Ed and I live in South Carolina so Ed not Edin would be better. Thanks

Umm I don’t know where you got the idea or thought that a detailed explanation was something I don’t like. Quite the opposite. Now I know partly where the miscommunication occurred. The browser on a Firestick is “Silk” not silver. I’ve certainly never said you could move the Silk browser to a USB Drive, as you can’t. You cannot move the pre-installed Amazon apps as they are now “protected” modules. So silk comes pre-installed on all Sticks, to activate it you simply go to the Amazon App store and download the latest update fir Silk and that will install/activate it for you to use. You can use the Find>Search and use Alexa and say “Silk” or just type it in. Then you can go to troys top free sports sites and using silk go to the sites you like best. There is a bit of a learning curve as you have to learn how to bypass popups and which ones you actually need to click on. :wink: I hope that vlears things up for you a bit. I apologize for any misunderstanding but at least now I know it’s the Silk browser you’re after and not “silver” so that’s a huge step in addressing your issues.
Have fun and STREAM ON.

I apologize for the mistake. I also thought today was Sunday so as Mick Jagger once sang “What a drag it is getting old.”

Let’s try another approach.

Do you have any idea (believe me I’ve searched and this issue has only recently occurred) why Firestick is asking me regularly to run speed test? I don’t guess you saved them and I don’t know if they remain somewhere, but if you did you would see exactly what I previously sent i.e., a screen cap of the speed (I know it was over 200Mbps download AND the notification the the exclamation point in a yellow circle). Am I correct that you’ve not experienced this issue and have no other suggestions for me?

#2 is, despite having ample space on my device as reported in my last note, the ads that pop up consume bandwidth to the point where I have to clear cache nearly every hour which frankly stinks when it’s NFL season. I purchased an OTD cable. However, as you clearly noted,if there is plenty of space on the device only (>2.0MB) and there is no way to move Amazon Silk to an external drive, might you have a suggestion (an alternative to Silver) that I could install on the thumbdrive?

Thank you!

In all honesty I have no clue why you are getting speed test warnings. I use Firesticks exclusively and have never seen any that would provide this popup. As I think I mentioned, there aren’t any diagnostic routines or sub routines on a Firestick that would trigger a request for a speed test. So I’m of the opinion that this is being triggered by either an app you installed or perhaps even malware. Now you mentioned you’re getting dropped connections and that perhaps it’s being triggered by your VPN. So I would contact the VPN supplier and express your concerns to them and see what they suggest. As far as an internet browser goes you can’t beat the cloud based Silk browser as it is optimized for the Firesticks. Now I’ve also never had the experience of losing space because ads are playing. A good tool that might assist you is Fast Task Killer. Using it helps free up RAM which is where the “buffer” is kept.

2 Likes

Hello!
Thanks for the reply.
Just to clarify
I don’t think I said I was getting dropped connections. I made an assumption (yes, I know what that means) that maybe the VPN was losing a connection and/or maybe my ISP was occasionally throttling back or some other gremlin was causing a 1-2 second drop in signal. So a buddy of mine recommended installing this app on the line (I’m not home so I cannot tell you the name of it, but it just sits between the router and the stick (virtually) and watches the line. In the two weeks I’ve been using it, it has not reported a drop that would result in a disconnect. I’ve never sat down to watch a IPTV program without a connected VPN.

By the way, I have 4 TV’s all running off the same router and all but one using an old Firestick. The one I’m using in the “family room” has the 4K with the 4 preset buttons and that’s the one that’s failing. Our children are grown so there’s no kids throwing remotes at each other.

I do appreciate the time you’ve taken with me. Interesting sidenote: I bought the 4K Max and a WiFi6 router when they first hit the market. I could not get them to work. I even had an Amazon tech login to my network and he’d get it to work for a few minutes and then freeze. So after about 2 hours, I packed up the WiFi Mesh Router and the Max, got my return approval and dropped them at the UPS store the next day.

Thanks for trying. Sorry if our communication started out a little rough but I appreciate the time you spent.
Stream on!

I’m not sure what you mean by our communication started out rough. I certainly don’t think so. I would like to emphasize that this pop up or request that you get, or warning, is not coming from the stick itself but I suspect from an app you’ve installed. Not sure why anyone would need something monitoring their LAN connection but I’ve honestly never thought about doing something like that. One of two options you may need to consider, is to delete your non Amazon or 3rd party apps one at a time until this behaviour stops, or do a factory reset and install the same apps one at a time until it starts. I can’t think of what else to do to isolate this. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.
You are correct.
Turns out it was Jayhawks who offered help but commented about too much info but I thought it was you. That was the first reply I received that stated something to the effect that I typed a lot but it was unclear what issue I was having. I, perhaps mistakenly, took that to mean that my initial note was long on words but did not net out my issues. I referenced that in the follow up.

Let’s put that behind us please.

Re: Why you would check the connection with an app. One possible reason I am getting these instructions to run speed tests is that while it might not be a dropped connection, IF (that’s a big if) the Firestick began to see a degradation in speed, latency or connectivity, it might interpret that as a potential failure or an actual failure because the notification I receive with the speed test request states it’s for troubleshooting purposes. So if the device is seeing even a nano-second of lost connection, which then reconnects, the voluntary (a term you’ve taught me, thank you) checks would show nothing unless I was lucky enough to catch it when it was happening which would be highly improbable. BUT, if you have something that produces a report that shows speeds, latency and connectivity, then that rules out the Firestick and could be my router, my cable modem, even my ISP. However, I’ve seen no drops, an occasional slower speed (but still over 200Mbps), so I can eliminate the devices before the stick. Make sense?

You told me several times to check the apps I’ve installed. I’ve already said that the only app I’ve added after reset to factory was Analiti so I’m not sure I understand why you mentioned it again, but I do need to update my previous response because I did install the VPN, so that’s a total of 2 that are none native. FYI, Amazon is running an early discount before the 10-11,10-12 Prime Days 50% off on most Firesticks. I beginning to think from what you’ve shared and the research I’ve done that it just might be the stick. So I ordered the latest non-Max 4K that is supposedly designed for improved video. I’ll know when it gets here.

So I think it’s time to close the book on this topic and re-enter once I get a new Firestick and see what happens.

Thanks again for your replies.
Ed in South Carolina-born and raised in Brooklyn.NY

Sorry I was unable to pin point your issue and resolve it. Did you not mention that you have some app installed monitoting the connection between your router and the stick? That’s what I was referring to when I mentioned removing apps and testing. BTW, the 4K Max is far superior to all other firesticks, in both specs and performance. So you don’t use the stick for anything? The only apps are Analiti and a VPN?

Let’s separate testing phase from usage phase.
Of course I use the Firestick, but I am not installing apps to use it. That’s why I’m glad you corrected me on the the Amazon Silk (not silver). I do not install ANYTHING during this test phase other than the Analiti and VPN. The app I use to test my internet signal for connectivity, latency and connectivity connects to the VPN since that’s the first place the signal goes to.

Ok normally I pay for all the apps such as Netflix, and a few other free ones like Crackle. But since I am in a testing phase, none of these apps are on the main great room TV and Firestick. As I mentioned, none of the other TV’s have this issue so they are all running with all the apps installed with no calls for speedtest.

The Firestick that is causing the problem is only running the native apps, plus the VPN and Analiti. I am at this moment watching football on the “Problem Firestick” but I connect thru Amazon Silk browser. No download required. Open Amazon Silk, type the name of what I want to see in the browser and that’s it. Works on my iPhone, my Windows PC, and as long as I’m home, the signal and quality are equal to the browser-based version on the Firestick.

So yes, I use the sticks (I have 4) depending on if it’s just my wife and me at home or if my kids and/or grandkids are here since everyone likes something different.

I hope this makes sense since I am extremely reluctant to use product names and get banned.

Cheers
Ed

I have understood all that you have said. What I don’t seem to be wxpressing properly for you to comprehend, is that I fully believe that app you are using to monitor your connection may be the very one that is causing you problems. :thinking: If you want to use Silk for all your sports watching I applaud you as that’s precisely what I use to do and Troy has a post on the best free sports sites. Now I use a paid IPTV service for more stable viewing.

I think this might sound rude but it’s not meant that way, just to help you and I get on the same page which we are clearly not based on our last few exchanges.

Why would I put something to test a problem I didn’t have? Would you? If your car had new brakes, would you start testing the brakes if you know they were new and you were not having any problems?

The answer is, of course not.

So why do you think I would install ANYTHING to check what is a clear failure BEFORE it was a clear failure? Think of this another way. I already told you I have 4 Firesticks. None of the other three are having this issue. Well, if I put it on one of those, you might have a good question. But since it didn’t get put into use until there was a consistent problem, and I’ve had these devices for YEARS, without a problem, again why would you think “Oh that’s gotta be the problem.”?

You sound like a reasonable person but please, I’m missing out and you don’t seem to be connecting how to test a failure, not cause a failure.

I apologize if that sounded harsh. I promise that wasn’t my intention but you leave me shaking my head.

Let’s do this one more time.
About 4-5 weeks ago I started getting the error I provided to you as a screen shot which showed plenty of download speed and the actual error

I began researching the usual places including this forum. At the same time, I read everything I could get my hands on, and watched every YouTube or other video I could find. I’ll admit I made an error and referred to the Amazon Silk as Amazon Silver.

Tried your suggestions of inspecting apps I added and instead of going the long way, reset my Firestick 4K to factory. Added my VPN and Analiti and nothing else. The app I have referred to is used by field techs who work for ISPs when their clients complain that they aren’t getting the speed or performance (jitter) they are paying for. It does NOT connect to the Firestick. Instead I load my VPN on a machine with similar specs using the same WiFi specs as the failing device. It can run forever. It impacts nothing other than to track speed, performance and connectivity. Now when you run a test for a week or more and get not one single drop of any of the three things we are testing for, it is a logical assumption that there is no issue with the ISP line, the modem or the WiFi router. This removes a possible cause from the list - it does not ADD it.

Somehow we are not connecting and there is no reason to have any further discussion. So again, I sincerely appreciate your advice but I’m beginning to feel like I said - we are not making progress so please accept my appreciation and farewell. Ed

@edinBluffton

You should always be testing things even if they are working properly. If i get new brakes on my car id obviously test them to make sure they are installed correctly and actually working.

I think you should do some research more on firestick and with apps that use real debrid and such.

Also:

Please review this for all firestick issues and guides, if the following hasn’t worked feel free to ask.

This should resolve most to all issues.

1 Like

I’m sorry you can’t understand. I thought my point and explanation were obvious but apparently not. So yes I’ve repeated myself a number of times trying to get through to you. But I see I’m just frustrating you so I’m not going to bother anymore. I wish you good luck and have fun.

Interesting, so tell me how exactly would you test those new brakes? Remember you’ve just had them replaced. Please tell me what would cause you to inspect them and (since I don’t know what year make and model of vehicle you own, please explain how you would do this. Step by step. And if your new brakes are noisy or not “biting” to your expectations, what would be your process. I picked brakes because while they are a relatively easy part of most vehicles, some require specialized tools (I’ve owned BMW’s for 25 years and until I bought my Tesla in May of 2021, no one ever touched my cars especially the dealer. But you may have something simpler, so do tell. What is the failure you expect to diagnose?

Back to my Firestick which I’ve had for over a year - the 4K model not the MAX. I am getting a message in the form of a circle with an explanation point inside. I follow the instructions and I don’t know if Miki still has a) what is being requested and
b) this is so troubleshooting for a problem that is not apparent can be done.
I sent Miki the screenshots which indicate a and b above yet my download speed is at a minimum in excess of 200Mbps. So if the Firestick is telling me that I need to run a speed test even though it is currently running at a speed that I would think the average Firestick user would be pleased. I also checked latency and connectivity. Now this where the problem requires knowledge, tools and a wee bit of training. Don’t forget I have 4 Firesticks in my home when my children and grandchildren visit on other Samsung smart TVs. (I get a discount on them). So I have an acquaintance who works for my ISP who I’ve gotten to know well since he has a BMW. He proposed that it is possible for the network I have, my own Surfboard modem, my own Linksys router and CAT 6 cable that it seems unlikely that the signal from the ISP to the Modem to the router to the Firestick is at fault. But he connects one of the other TV’s with the identical app and set up to an app that will record, and allow me to see any failures in the line. Please keep in mind that Miki’s advice was to look for a problematic app I added. To resolve this completely and take it out of the equation, I reset the Firestick to factory settings, and aside from the app installed on another identical machine, with an identical Firestick4K. The speeds on both machines as well as latency, jitter and connectivity speed we within about 5 percent of each other. The only additional apps that were installed on both was my Nord VPN and Analiti which was recommended by Miki. So far I have run these tests (swapping computers and Firesticks every few days) and both produce the same results (which I ran on Analiti and sent to Miki) which are DL speeds over 400Mbps, zero drops, low speeds, jitter of connection issues. Simply put I see what I see and have explained many times. In the beginning we had a miscommunication because I was calling the native browser Amazon Silver when I meant Amazon Silk. Hey I’m 68 I do make the occasional error. I still don’t know causes this error but by using research and tools and little help from here I know:
My Firestick 4K has the latest OS
The monitoring of a failure only makes sense when the failure COULD BE (in my case) a loss in connectivity which my Firestick asks mr to check my speed test using their built in one AND now I also use the Analti. There is virtually no difference.
So I have eliminated to potential causes. No installed by me apps that is causing a failure (just 2 remember, Nord VPN and Analiti ( which doesn’t appear to provide any additional infor inless I am willing to buy a subscription, but seeing how none of subs address any problems I will pass for now.

So we are heading into week 6. I’ve spoken to Amazon Firestick tech support with no solutions, none of my Firesticks are “jailbroken”. I basically use the Amazon Silk browser and type in a code that directs me to a list of movies, TV, sports etc. I’m not sure if I can actually call this an IPTV connection since I’m not downloading anything. Oh and Miki and I never mentioned this but my laptops have Malwarebytes, BitDefender, Windows 10-64 with the latest updates on the Laptops. I run a cache clearing program (again not installed but via a browser connected to and thru the VPN.

Thus, and in closing at 3AM ET, iAmazon is running a 50% off sale in advance of the 10-11 and 10-12 Prime Days, so I ordered not one but two replacements. Maybe that will solve the problem.

Thanks and please don’t forget to tell me why you check newly installed brakes, how you performance the test (sending it out to a shop to ensure routers are in round) but I’m more interested in what make, model, year and mileage and any error (could be a sound, a light on the dash, there are many features built in to modern cars so that people don’t rely on the squealing metal tabs to let them know there is a problem.

Looking forward to it and thank you for your reply!
Ed

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.