Recomendations for integrating VPN into home network

Reading the specs from here, this model only accommodates PPTP and OpenVPN… though there might be a firmware update available.

TPL’s chat support sent me a link to the list of their routers that are able to do Wireguard.

Perfect. Any chance you could share that link? The last one I sent you had the VPN server and VPN client filters added so that list should give you the option to add a VPN client with Wireguard. But the list from TPL would be nice.

It’s about half way down the page…though they mention server, not client.

1 Like

WireGuard support, with multiple SSIDs to support concurrent VPN and non-VPN connections, Ad blocker etc.

I’ll consider that!

Right now, I’m leaning toward one of the Asus’s. I don’t mind flashing a router if it saves some money.
(I found my long-retired TP-Link w841n router & converted it to a DD-WRT device, just for practice. It wasn’t difficult at all. The only difficulty was having to borrow a Windows machine because I could not find a Linux terminal script to replace a CMD screen’s ‘ipconfig release’ & ‘ipconfig renew’…)

Just wondering why you need ipconfig to flash a router…

Essentially the ipconfig release allows the router’s ip address to be changed from its factory address.

I was speaking about the router that was being converted into a DD-WRT router.

The address of the TP w841n was 192.168.0.1 from the factory.
That needed to be changed to another address.

Ahhhh. Got ya @elginherd I’ll remove those references as it may confuse more than help. Have a great day.

1 Like

Here’s one that a lot of people don’t know about or I rarely see anyone post about as an alternative to setting up a VPN on a router… It does require a rooted Android device but the setup is simple and it works perfectly. VpnHotspot is an open source app you can get from Google Play but is available from it’s GitHub repository. The app needs to be installed under /system/priv-app with root granted to it but if you have unlimited data and decent service it doesn’t count against your hotspot data and you can connect as many devices as you want. In fact I use it on a phone that doesn’t even have a hotspot plan because it doesn’t use the native hotspot on your device directly so the the data is attributed to the app itself. When I was subscribing to Netflix it was the only way I found that unlocked region restricted content because most VPN servers are easily detected as a proxy but it mask it unless you’re using a cheap or free VPN. Even though it’s a complex application it’s surprisingly easy to use. I’ve used Express VPN through Windows as a virtual router and it’s much easier than that and works better all around. In the past I’ve tried different methods for the hotspot feature but all were either complicated or didn’t work at all so to be able to use a single app that protects your privacy and can replace your Internet service if you’re paying for WiFi is pretty awesome to say the least.

That might be an option if I had reliable 5G reception at my house. Supposedly, T-Mobile is in the process of expanding 5G capability locally, so if that happens that could be a possibilty in the future. (The LTE service just isn’t enough.)

I’m guessing that you rooted a retired Android phone…a used/retired phone would certainly be an inexpensive proposition.

Well i never buy a new phone for the basic fact that with a little patience you can find a quality device on eBay for surprisingly low prices. So to answer your question, the device I use it on or and any device I’d use this for needs to meet a little bit of criteria first. First and foremost I have to know that the bootloader can be unlocked and the device specs need to be up to a certain quality because you’re, in essence, using it as a router and depending on what all you’re running on it and connected to it you’ll want a device with a quality processor among other things, even storage because this affects RAM. I’m currently using a OnePlus 8 pro which I specifically purchased for this. I paid almost $300 for it but it was practically brand new and met all the criteria.

Regarding the 5G issue, you’re correct that it is better but lte works just as well for me. My service is through Metro which is basically the same as T-Mobile but with much better deals. At my home I have excellent 5G service but where my parents live I have none. Sometimes I stay a few days with them and only have LTE and I can’t tell the difference. LTE is the same as 4G and 5G is still relatively new. As long as you have a solid connection I don’t think it really matters.

We never buy new phones either…but our price point is $100 or less per phone.

You can find one that would suffice for around that price. Like I said, with a little patience you can find some amazing deals on eBay. An older Google Pixel would be perfect and you can definitely find one within that range. I just hate the battery life on some of their older devices because I do use the phone for it’s regular purposes. I, of course, leave it plugged in when running the hotspot. If you only needed it for that then the battery isn’t much of an issue.

I can assure you the money I have saved from my entire setup out ways what I was paying for WiFi and cable and was well worth the investment

A pricey solution but have you thought of a Vilfo router?

Why not keep existing network to use for non vpn related use and connect a vpn enabled router for streaming?

or

1 Like

I was thinking about that, Mike.

The one thing that I would be concerned with is WiFi coverage in this house, including a TV. That’s why I installed the current mesh system shortly after we moved in.

Pricey is out, could.
About $130-ish dollars is the budget.

The second video is kind of what I’ll go in line with.

My current (now-old) TP-Link w2400 mesh main unit can be configured as an access point. Running long lines of CAT-X cable isn’t an option, but a short cable between new router & the Main Deco is available. After chatting with TP’s tech support my current plan when I get back to the house in a week or so, is:
modem>>new router (WiFi disabled)>>Main Deco----satellite Decos.