Purchasing a new tv

Here’s an idea…a blast from the past! lol

2 Likes

I saved up my allowance to buy a 3.3" portable tv from Radio Shack. I loved that thing! It was a little box more than it was the handheld shown in PF’s picture, but that was the cool thing before cell phones lol.

1 Like

I think all TV’s are smart now those other kind aren’t made anymore. And Amazon fire TVs has the cheapest prices and if you go on the Amazon app they have a lot of payment plans on their Amazon electronics and best buy has a lot of discount TV’s also Google it and click on “shopping” then you can see all the prices of tvs listed online that are for sale. But I always get Amazon Fire tvs because they are the cheapest also don’t get some tv with a brand name that you never heard of those cheap unfamiliar Brand name TV’s a lot of the time come out the box broken are defective and TCL and VIZIO brand TV’s are usually pretty cheap if you just need a tv with the essential functions

1 Like

Samsung for the Win!

2 Likes

Remember these? They were advertised a lot in comic books. I got one without my parents’ knowledge. It was powered by hooking the alligator clip to something metal. I took it to school and ran the clip wire down my pant leg and clipped it to the desk. Then I ran the earpiece up my shirt. Worked pretty good until the teacher noticed. Now she has it to this day! :radio:

3 Likes

I would like to join the minority and say ROKU TV with and Android device connected to HDMI slot. You have it all. Because Roku gives away their software to TV manufacturers, prices are really good. I bought a Roku TV and love it!

Hey TX,
I bought a Hisense Fire TV U6HF. The set up is like being on autopilot and pic is great with factory settings, particularly in 4K. I don’t need to use my Firestick anymore but even with Surfshark on, I feel like I have a bull’s eye on my back when watching apps from unknown sources.
Stiz

1 Like

Recently purchased this 55 inch Samsung Samsung 55" 4K UHD HDR QLED Tizen Smart TV (QN55Q80BAFXZC) - Titan Black
Very happy with everything about this television.

1 Like

Hi Guys
My advice is stick to LG or Samsung they make their own TVs unlike Panasonic Sony JVC and others are badged Chinese product. This is coming from a TV engineer so I should know what I’m talking about. I have no experience of Amazon TVs so can’t comment except that they are doing lots of things to make life difficult on firesticks and the like.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that @billthesage, great to know! I started being a Samsung fan a long time ago. I would go to Best Buy and look at the TVs, and the best pictures to me were always Samsung. I only have Samsung at the moment, but have more recently been impressed by LG. I may still go with Samsung for my main TV, but may try LG the next time I replace some of my bedroom TVs.

I am Samsung as well. TV, Sound bar, phones and tablet. They all work together seamlessly for me. I don’t use the tv OS really at all. Just basically a monitor , for my 4k Max.

2 Likes

Lol no offense but I find it funny when someone says they went to Best Buy or another store to “look at” TVs and determine which ones look the best. None of them are calibrated when put on display. They are all set to a preset mode like “vivid” to make the colors pop and pump up the brightness. The colors are wildly inaccurate and watching the TV in a dark room could end up being an entirely different experience. Unless you’re getting an OLED you really need to look out for blooming, black crush, and motion smoothing without causing a strong soap opera effect. And there is nothing wrong with buying another brand. A lot of companies make their own LCD panels. It’s the OLED that are still only made by two companies. Just because that company makes the panels doesn’t mean they are the best at all the other components. If you had a company like Sony who uses the same panels as another brand but has other components that are better, why would you not buy their TV? Doesn’t make any sense.

P.S. No good TVs are made in America.

Yes, they are all in vivid mode/store display mode, but they are all in that so you can still compare tv to tv. Also, I was young and dumb back then and didn’t know enough about the specs and backgrounds of the TVs. I must not have been completely an idiot though, because to this day I still think Samsung is the best TV.

3 Likes

Here’s the thing with me. I have no idea what “Blooming, Black Crush, and Motion smoothing” are and I’m good with it. But I love my 65" Samsung I purchased for about $500 a few years ago on Black Friday. Why do I need to pay double for a SONY or other brand when to my untrained eye doesn’t make a difference. flawless streaming/broadcasts in 4K and 1080P are crystal clear to me

5 Likes

I have a 12-year-old Sony Bravada that works just fine for me. I don’t need a TV that is so doggone clear that I can see the zits on the nose of an actor.

1 Like

Well, I completely agree with you. And that’s my point. I have a slightly older P-series from TCL that was pretty darn good and at the time was much cheaper than Samsung models. And I did a lot of research and “eye tests” in Best Buy myself. Although I drove the sales guy nuts by asking if I could play around with the settings if I promised to restore it when done. My point is that brand name and who actually makes the panels doesn’t matter as much as final performance to price ratio.

4 Likes

Got an LG C1 too. OLED really does provide the best picture. However, I would not recommend the LG OS. I found the LG setup/signup to be worse that Amazon. The LG Magic remote is not so magic and will not pair with a Cox Cable Contour box. The LG remote and Cox Cable remote have been at odds since day one. I purposely bought an LG soundbar thinking it would be a no brainer to pair with their C1, boy was I wrong. ARC sound is great but figuring how to set it up not so much even with help from an LG tech. The TV OS still cuts off my ARC connection any time it feels like it.
Even with an Amazon cost of under $1700 and beautiful movies in 4k and all that, I am not sure it was worth it.
Stiz

1 Like

LG OLED evo C2 48’’ 4K Smart TV
Recently upgraded my TV and think this LG will last me a good while. Got it for under £800 at CostCo, so a good deal. Important to consider the input device too. Many people buy the TV and then hook up something and start moaning that the spec/performance and picture is crap :joy: Also, if you watch TV in an average size room, sit about 10 feet away and have 20/20 vision, you don’t need a 90" TV all singing with superblaster/woofer hoofer sound, unless you want yer brain to and eyeballs to go into meltdown mode :laughing:

I love the picture on my older Samsung but last year after much research I found I could get the specs of a high end TV for a mid range price with the TCL mini-QLED. Really great picture!

My father-in-law has a 2009 Samsung 50" Plasma. To this day it’s still one the best pictures on a TV compared to many we all have in the family.