MXplayer pro with codecs

Go into your app settings in the shield and find downloader, go into the app permissions and change the permissions to “always” for media and files if it will allow you. Open the downloader app and use the web browser to navigate to the toolbox webpage. Save the webpage as a favorite for future access. Scroll down on the page and download MX Player.

I Disabled the play store so my system only updates when I want it to and as it’s an app I rarely ever use. I use the TDUK aurora store setup to get a full Playstore app experience and not just the “limited” playstore access provided on the shield. The aurora store addition also provides me with an “update” link, so I can have a look at what is new in an update and see if I want it. The only drawback, for some, is the need for a mini keyboard or the mouse toggle, to make it easier to use the Aurora store.

I’m not home right now, but I was pretty sure there are built in options with the shield that allow you to turn off automatic updates for both system updates and individual app updates. I know you can do this with apps because I’m still running an old version of Xplore that allows me to use Google Drive. I update all my other apps manually once in a while.

I disable the store to also turn off play protect. I have no issues with my Shield at all. Still digging deep into settings like my ad profile and modifying it to see what affect it has. Thanks though @Jayhawks659 for your interest and input. Similar to everyones dislike of Amazon, for interfering with our streaming efforts and device control, Google isn’t any different. So I’m testing what happens when reducing that interference in my control of my streaming device.

1 Like

Understandable. I also turned off play protect on mine.

I use to disable playstore but now I leave it on and turn off auto update and it does as told. I also have the aurora store on steroids setup. The main thing with google is turning off play protect.

1 Like

Yup. Testing everything I can get my grubby hands on. So far the only negative I have experienced with the play store disabled is the voice stuff like voice search doesn’t work.

Oh one more thing. There is no longer any toggle for turning off “verify apps” in “Security & restrictions” which is now found at the bottom of “Apps” so not sure now how to turn play protect off, other than disabling the play store.

I disable the PS because it interferes with a remapped button (Netflix). If the PS is not disabled then when I press the Netflix button it will fight with the app I assigned to that button. Plus I uninstalled Netflix and if the PS is not disabled. Then when I click the remapped Netflix button it will jump to the PS to try and get me to install Netflix.

1 Like

… but didn’t a Shield update allow button remapping without the need for a separate app? I thought it was built into the settings now. But you’re still having bugs?

No, I remapped the dedicated Netflix button to open my Surfshark VPN. I haven’t remapped any other buttons.

I don’t believe you can remap the Netflix button from Nvidia’s settings, but not sure.

I turned that off (play protect) in my account on my phone. My shield doesn’t have the verify apps radio button anymore, with or without the playstore active.

So it wasn’t the Netflix button, but you can change the menu button functions if you want to long press it to open an app. You should be able to select Surfshark.

Are you sure? If you open the play store and go to your account icon in the top right the play protect menu should be the second option.

I will turn the playstore back on and have a look again.

Yes the options are there in the playstore the same as if I went to my account in a web browser, but disable the Google Playstore in apps and no options and the options are no longer available in Security & Restrictions section on the Shield Pro like they use to be, with or without the Play Store enabled.
That’s about as clear as mud

yep, they have moved things around over time and devices. On my shield I keep playstore on and stay signed in for app updates with protect off and have had zero issues doing that so far.

Tx for the info. With it off I don’t have any issues accept trying things like voice search. But that isn’t a problem. As you mentioned, it can be a hassle for auto update. So I think for what little gain I got, I’ll turn it back on. Play protect has been off on my Shield From the start. Have a great day @TXRon . Also thanks very much for your help and suggestions @Jayhawks659 . Every bit helps. ttfn.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.