Meaning of a Fork

Could someone please explain, in somewhat simple terms, what a fork is? The latest TP email has a new app called The Promise and says it is a fork of The Oath. I see that term used here and there but paid no attention to it but since I am contemplating installing The Promise, I felt I best understand what a fork is. Thank you.

3 Likes

In software development, a fork is when someone takes a copy of a program’s source code and uses it as a basis for further development, often without the support of the original creator. As such, an Exodus fork is simply an addon that was originally based on the popular third-party Exodus Kodi addon.

2 Likes

@umgawa1952

Here another explanation :rofl::rofl:

A “fork” is a copy of a repository. Forking a repository allows to freely experiment with changes without affecting the original project.

As kodi is open source the copying of original source code is actually encouraged, but once the source code has been copied and subsequently modified the rules state that it must then use it’s own name. So a fork is a modified version of another developers code.

1 Like

@Miki

As I said another explanation Mr. Miki. If you want more information about Fork I explained to you :smiley:.

By the way you don’t have to comment on my post each time because we are mentioning add-on fork.

so let me get this straight,it has nothing to do with a spoon :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

@Miki

Ok here we go again.
That goes for you too, Mr. Miki and you do not have to immediately feel addressed, you should also not always be right.

In my previous post I indicated that there is also another explanation. you don’t have to be kicked on the toe right away either. Haha have a nice sunday too🤠

@Miki

I don’t feel irretated at all and anyone is free to post if they do as long as this stays within the topic, and my explanation was general for the topic, then you sent me a message with your own explanation.

You don’t have to tell me about technology and the technological aspect of it, because you do that, while I don’t wait for. This is very annoying.

I’m not going to lecture you but with respect and I expect the same too.

In the KODI Build Group I use the Dev refers to a Fork as being able to have another instance of KODI loaded on your device at the same time. So you can have multiple KODI Builds on your device. He accomplishes this via a downloader code

1 Like

@Miki

Lol. You are now repeating what I posted earlier. who is the follower here. you posted me before and now you’re denying.

@Miki

Absolutely you are now doing childishly this makes no sense, if you read the beginning of the topic you will see that you are the first to comment on me.
But indeed better to stop.
Time to take break. Thanks anyway

@Miki

You call me Boy now you start insulting now you absolutely mustn’t you don’t know me and we’re not buddies you’re going too far now, shame this is a sign of ignorance.

I apologize if you thought I was insulting you. I forgot English isn’t your main language. “Boy” at the beginning of my deleted comment is an excalmation, not an insult. We aren’t buddies??? Seriously? oh well.

@Matrix
@Miki

Alright, thats enough. Both explanations where fine. You can pm one another.

You can respectfully disagree without having to bash one another then follow it by flagging. I respect each one of your agreements and disagreements, but we are letting anger get the best here.

1 Like

but I’m not his buddy. Such a fuss about absolutely nothing. Will do @TP-Dracoo tx

Thanks to Miki and Matrix. Both explanations were very good and I appreciated them. Also thanks to TP for cooling things down a bit.

1 Like

@umgawa1952

Thank you for being patient for the explanations, and sorry for the inconveniences :+1::hugs:

You’re very welcome. Apologies that your thread was hijacked, but glad I could help. Have a great day.

What the fork happened here? :slight_smile: Sorry I missed it.

Lol. You didn’t miss much.