KM6 Deluxe Cooling

In case anyone is curious and concerned with their KM6’s overheating, these fans fit perfectly on the underside of the box and blow cool air up into the electronics. It comes with a L/M/H switch, but likely Low is enough for these boxes, just a little extra active cooling vs passive cooling. Another tip since it comes with a USB plug, if you insert it into your TV’s USB port, the fan will go on and off as the box/tv (if hooked up in tandem with HDMI CEC) does. Really slick. No wonder my wife calls me a geek…

4 Likes

Thnx for the heads up @AMD237 Personally, I’ve never had the need for any cooling on my KM6, but good to know if I ever do. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I seem to do a lot of things that dont NEED to be done lol. I just dont like the passive cooling construction on most of these boxes. These fans should help extend the life of the components inside. If you pay $100+ for a box, you can spend $12 to keep it cool its whole life. :sunglasses:

Copy that…I’ve got a Surfboard modem that is prone to running hot so I’ve always had a small 9" fan moving air in its area…& my KM6 is in close proximity, so I guess I’m already turning passive into active :thinking: You are definitely correct on the importance of air flow over electronic parts…I’ve seen cable set top boxes & gateways squirreled away in areas that were so closed off you could dang near fry an egg on em…no air & full of dust…& they wonder why their services don’t work… :grimacing: :fire: :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Thats why I always elevate my boxes to get better airflow.

3 Likes

OMG give me the time and resources and I’ll build you a water cooled housing. That’s one well used component.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed your array of fancy schmancy box caddies…my methods of elevating mine are a bit more MacGyver-ish :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Bubble gum and Velcro, two must have tools for a fancy schmancy setup.

2 Likes

I have my industrial velcro supplier on speed dial :joy:

1 Like

Are they having issues with the heat sink on those boxes ? I used to use the same box fan on my H96 max. It actually dropped the temperature by 25 degrees :+1:

I have no physical proof my Mecool boxes are overheating, but they always seem warmer to the touch than I like around electronic components. I was worried these fans wouldn’t fit, but they fit nicely as a stand and cooling apparatus. At least my Shield has active cooling in the box, I feel better about upgrading these too.

3 Likes

Great recommendation. I’ve been using this exact fan on my android boxes for years. They fit great, have a 3 speed switch and are very quiet.

3 Likes

If you’re not having any issues with streaming live video …freezing etc then I wouldn’t worry. Then again it doesn’t hurt to have a fan

It is good to know that when I go a little bit overboard (wife’s words), I’m not alone! Lots of people here have the same tinkering sickness. Guilty as charged. :face_with_thermometer:

AC Infinity are excellent. I use the CLOUDPLATE T5 to keep my gear cooler in my audio production rack. Always baffles me that manufacturers make products that get so hot they effect functionality and don’t address the problem in build production. Pain in the butt that you are better safe than sorry and buy an external unit to prolong the life of the unit.

1 Like

Amen bro. The key to android box cooling is the size of the heat sink on top of the processor and adequate ventilation holes on the top and sides of the box. Unfortunately, most of them fail on both counts, and that results in overheating without a good cooling fan.

2 Likes

Between you & @sim_bill y’all have pretty much talked me into getting one…not only cause it’s cool looking…but evidently, cool acting too :sunglasses: :cold_face:

What the heck…it’ll beat my MacGyvered stand all to hell & be functional to boot :+1: :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Can it be left to run 7/24? My modem router is always on in a cabinet with poor airflow, and it is always warm.

I always had my modem fans on 24/7 I had spares and if one failed I unplugged it and plugged in a new one. Same on my computer tower case.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.