Is NVIDIA Shield still the best?

Thanks @mthr1 for your advice :slightly_smiling_face:
As I was reading all the info I have to admit that it made my head feel like it was going to explode​:boom: :exploding_head: :sweat_smile:
I don’t know anything about plex, and I don’t have a PC anymore, but I do want learn!!:+1:

If I was you I would just use the external drive or external memory to save all your movies on. Even just a memory stick would be fine on the shield it holds a lot of movies.

1 Like

Sounds good to me :smiley: Appreciate your advice @AJS1
As well as everyone else’s :star_struck::+1:

If you don’t have a PC, then just connect any external storage drive to your shield that your budget can afford.

Using Plex is optional - just convenient. If you want to use more than one external device, just use a USB hub so that you can connect multiple drives.

Below is a photo of when I had my ext drives plugged into my shield for media storage.

1 Like

Hi @mthr1 thanks for showing me your photo so I could actually see what it looks like using external drives with your Nvidia Shield :+1::+1:
Seeing it helped me understand better about plugging in ext drives into Shield for media storage​:+1::smile:

That’s a great analogy. I’m going to have to start using that one.

1 Like

Yes the shield is simply the best :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I lost my shield remote does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement. I tried the universal remote and that didn’t work. Thanks

Amazon.com: NVIDIA SHIELD Remote; Voice Search, Motion-Activated, Backlit Buttons, Customizable Menu Buttons, and IR Blaster to Control your TV : Electronics

Buy NVIDIA SHIELD Products & Accessories | NVIDIA Shop

1 Like

The new 2019 Shield remote, as @Powerfader noted above, will work with previous models of shields as well as the current 2019 models that the triangle shaped remotes were bundled with.

Since you didn’t specify which model of the shield that you had, it’s worth noting the backwards compatibility of the current remote.

Assuming you lost it at home somewhere, did you try using the shield’s app feature of the remote finder? This is also assuming you have the 2019 Shield remote, as I don’t recall the 2017 remote having this feature.

3 Likes

Yes, the 2017 model has the find feature. However, unless you are right next to it or have supersonic hearing it’s pretty much useless.

Also, if that is their only Shield in the house. They can download the Shield Remote App to their phone or tablet to use in the interim. They could also use the Find Feature using the remote app.

NVIDIA SHIELD TV - Apps on Google Play

1 Like

You can always buy a new Shield, then swap out the remotes and return it… Free remote replacement :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Is $30 bucks worth your integrity?
squirrelscream-shocked

1 Like

It was meant as a joke. I pray to God (of my understanding);that you understood that. :person_shrugging:

AnxiousAnchoredEider-size_restricted

Other have traded for far less…sadly.

2 Likes

For me, having tried all the top devices pretty much, the reason the shield stands above the rest is the picture quality with the upscaling, I have a nice Sony, Bravia TV, and when streaming through the shield, it is the best picture quality I have seen. I use all my devices mainly for streaming, so for me, picture quality is number one

6 Likes

I too am on the doorstep of buying a Shield and start recording IPTV channels to an external drive and use it as a DVR. I was wondering if there is a way to use it like a DVR where you can start watching a program from the beginning as it is still recording/downloading. Like a DVR box works from a cable/satellite provider?

Yes!

1 Like

I’ve used several of the cheap Chinese Android boxes for 4-5 years now. It wasn’t until recently that the newer ones have become very problematic (malware, restricted downloads, questionable preinstalled apps, etc.)
So000 my question… Is the Nvidia Shield still worth a look? Especially since it’s still $200 (yikes!), no hope in sight for a newer model and I’m not a gamer. I just stream via iptv, Tivimate, etc.