Is Kodi still worth the effort?

I was just wondering. I haven’t used Kodi now for more than a year since the stand alone apps like cinema and other movie and TVs series apps work just as well. Any thoughts?

3 Likes

I’ve said this before on this site. With the size for the app and slow loading I don’t see any use for/advantage
of using it with all the standalone APK’s out there. I haven’t used Kodi for about 2 years. I did check it out about 6 months ago and promptly deleted it.

4 Likes

I since have taken kodi off my firestick!

3 Likes

Use to be dazzeled by it’s bells and whistles! Since then, though, apps are available that you can use without Kodi. I don’t find it necessary to use Kodi.

4 Likes

I remain a fan and user of kodi. I’ve copied and pasted something I posted previously regarding kodi under the topic
“APKs that support real debrid.”
johnmoriarty15 also had favorable comments per kodi, if you’d like to read them.

No doubt, the evolution of APKs has made streaming easier across the board. They are lighter, easy to understand and use. But I still like and use kodi. I find myself impatiently opening Cyberflix, Cinema, Titanium to quickly get something up and going. They work well most of the time but are subject to occasional glitches. Kodi, WITH real debrid and up to date addons/repositories, works very well for me. I tolerate the slower, more tedious interface because once I’m up and streaming, I usually get a very good streaming experience. I find with APKs you get varying levels of audio depending upon the quality of your links. I have significant hearing loss and with kodi, I have set audio to amplify by default and always get excellent sound. I believe troypoint said previously that he still likes kodi for more consistent subtitles and I also have had better luck in that regard which is also a plus for someone with hearing problems. If I can’t find something on one of my streaming apps, I almost always find it on kodi. Kodi starts slowly and goes through it’s updates before you can get going. After that, I have 10 functioning addons at my disposal. I think of them as individual streaming apps all packaged within a single container. I cut my cordcuttting teeth with kodi and struggled for a bit to learn how to use and maintain it. That’s when I stumbled across troypoint who became an invaluable resource and made the cordcuttting world work for me. And this has nothing to do with actual streaming, but I enjoy tinkering with and maintaining kodi. I wrote my first computer program 35 years ago when everything was done via command line and I find setting up and maintaining kodi to be quite interesting. Kodi is both a valuable resource and hobby for me. I keep a version on all my streaming devices.

8 Likes

Kodi keeps all my addons. I also create forks which give me even more build flexibility. I’m pretty good at taking a build and stripping it down or adding what i want. i can still get to all my APKs from inside of Kodi.

If were primarily on a fire device instead of a shield though i might have a different opinion on the subject.

2 Likes

Kodi served it’s purpose at the time but there are so many good stand alone streaming apks out there, there is really no major need to use Kodi anymore. The added coding and data on Kodi just adds more used up memory on your devices.

4 Likes

One thing I find lacking with the available APKs are International radio stations. Kodi has quite a few add-ons to choose from that will bring in 1000’s+ of stations in all genres.

3 Likes

Why would you turn on a tv to listen to music, news, sports, etc. There are dozens of free sites on the internet where you can get all the international stations. Tune-in-radio for instance

4 Likes

I use my TV to listen to the radio because of my sound system for the TV. Much better than any computer or crappy stereo systems that are on the current market. I listen to international radio smooth jazz. Just my preference.

I agree. Any build I had on it was very slow to load. Love the standalone apk’s.

1 Like

Is there a standalone apk for USTVGO? I don’t want to go the Silk route. Would prefer a nice GUI form. That’s what I really use Kodi for. When we’re out in the middle of nowhere and can’t get local tv we use that.

2 Likes

To the best of my knowledge there is no stand alone APK for USTVGO. I get USTVGO thru The Crew addon under the IPTV heading. Works really well. I loaded The Crew addon in Kodi (without a build). Hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi I always use kodi for sports with the rising tides app,works great, I tried some apks but I find they all buffer ot freeze and quality of a lot is poor,I have superfast broadband so should be ok,am I doing something wrong that apks don’t work for me

3 Likes

Troy suggested to install MX Player for several APKs and use it as your default player for those APKs. My brother did that and it solved his buffering problems.

3 Likes

Haven’t used kodi in a year recently installed kodi matrix but still haven’t used it find it more convenient to use stand alone apps

2 Likes

Crew also has one of the best free sports and movie sites out there.

1 Like

Is that from a build or do you program your apps of choice.

Which standalone apps are the best.

If I could find a stable stand alone app for UFC and NFL, I would probably never use Kodi again. Although, it being XBMC it works well on my Xbox.