Google security

Every time I install a app I really like, I soon get a notice saying the app was disabled because it could cause cause harm to my system or device. This has happened to me a few times before but I was able to deal with it by following some instructions that Troy had posted in order to disable play protect. But now since I installed the update on my N’Shield, I can’t find the verify apps option, or the security & restrictions settings. Or anything else for that matter. Can someone help me. ?

Security and Restrictions is located below the Apps roup. As far as verify Apps I can’t find it either.

2 Likes

Thanks: I found the Security and Restrictions location. But there is nothing there that deals with enabling or disabling google play protect.

Quick answer, you can’t disable it. It’s part of Google Play Services/Play Store and cannot be disabled alone.

You can on your android phone and tablet by opening the Play Store app and click on your profile avatar and then scroll down and disable Play Protect. I can’t find a way of doing it on my Nvidia Pro, but I haven’t allowed the Play Store to update itself in years! lol.

Although, you can download an app via your tablet and phone with the Play Protect turned off and send it to your device using the Send Anywhere app or TP’s RAI.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the most important step. When you are finished using the Play Store REMEMBER TO ALWAYS DISABLE THE PLAY STORE APP!!!

1 Like

Why not try installing a whole new OS on the Shield? Lineage OS I think it’s called. Rather bold but then you’re free of Google. Got the name wrong but here’s the link for the curious ones.

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/mdarcy/

1 Like

Funny you mentioned lineage. Thats in my playbook after my ugoos gets here. I want to try that on one of my mecool boxes :grimacing: :+1:

1 Like

Have a look at the link my friend. At least you’ll get a head start on your Ugoos project.

1 Like

I have been reading up on it. My main OS is linux. Im lost on windows :rofl:

I started into linux, ubuntu, but after about 3 hardcovered books of entries to get stuff done I went back to Windows. I found the registry much easier to understand and to write keys for.

There is a rollback procedure published on the Nvidia site , but it is a veeeery looooong process and if you are not somewhat techie in mind I would stay away from it.

Also, that lineageous thing I looked at and decided that isn’t something I would want to do.

Besides, if I have to spend hours rolling back and flashing my device or installing a whole OS. Then I might as well dump the Shield and buy a state of the art android box.

1 Like

Good answer!! I would give you the name of the app, but I don’t know if I am allowed to or not. Its strange because Troy is giving instructions on how to install the app, dated Jan 26. I tried to uninstall the app but google stops me. They tell me that the app may be harmful and do I want to install it any way. I say yes but then it says not installed. The app is somewhere in my shield and google won’t let me uninstall it. I will keep trying anyway. I am really thinking about trying Miki’s suggestion.

1 Like

You can name the apps. It’s only content related stuff we can’t do.

1 Like

No Thanks. Probably brick my Shield Pro :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

It’s the Oceanstreamz app.

I’ll forget about the lineageous thing. :wink:

I finally got my app back. Now all I have to do is figure out how to keep google away from it.

3 Likes

https://www.xda-developers.com/lineageos-18-1-android-tv-11-walmart-onn-4k-dynalink-tv-box/amp/

2 Likes