Getting rid of ads in APKs

I used Blokada 4 that way until they made it so it also blocked debrid services. I am pretty sure I had also tried AdGuard and it did the same. Can you verify if Debrid links still get through while blocking the ads with AdGuard?

There are no ads on Stremio. I have noticed he has no clue what he is doing and loves to give advice. He is running a corrupt Stremio APK and needs reinstall his set up. I have loaded stremio on maybe 30 different devices and never an ad.

I do also like KODI as an original XBMC user. Old habits die hard. I even keep an untouched 20.1 fork just to use as a player for other streaming APKā€™s.

Yeah Iā€™ve been using KODI + RD + TrakTV for many years. I did try Stremio for about a month and everything appeared to work fine but I just could not stand the GUI interface

I did make the ā€œswitchā€ to Weyd for ease sake thinking I wouldnā€™t keep KODI going. But Thanks to TrakTV I still keep up to date KODI builds since it still is one of the best. All around great play everything player.

As you know people just canā€™t take the time it takes with KODI anymore with the easier more user friendly alternatives available. Have Fun.

LOL Ainā€™t that the truth. But Iā€™ve been with the same Builds Group (Grindhouse) for at least 4 years now and the Dev Team does a really good job of keeping everything maintained well and communicating changes. Between that and multiple KODI Forks from Troy, Iā€™m set. and Iā€™ve been doing it for so long fixes are easy when needed.

Thatā€™s it exactly. People like you and I know KODI and grew with it. I was setting up a lot Fire Sticks for friends and family so I looked for alternatives to use with shared Premiumize debrid accounts in many instances. I have Pro Shields that can run multiple KODI forks no problem, so I do. In part because we can.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I thought, too until this last week. Now, Stremio has a banner ad covering the titles of the lower panel of shows/movies. That would be annoying enough but the banner takes about a dozen sweeps across the screen before it complete (5-10 seconds).
SERIOUSLY ANNOYING!!!
However, Surfshark with CleanWeb does get rid of this.

1 Like

Clean web doesnā€™t work for me.

Are you on PC? I forgot they did some ads on the desktop version. I havenā€™t used Stremio much in the last few months but I still havenā€™t seen any ads when I did.

What Iā€™m wondering if somebody has snuck something in on more than likely an unofficial add-on. Iā€™m not really a Stremio expert since I mostly only use Torrentio. My setupā€™s pretty simple with them and I have never seen an ad except for maybe 3 or so years ago when I thought they announce they stopped experimented with it. I donā€™t know much about AdEx but I think they are the people that run Stremio or did when they Incorporated ads. It is a bit curious how they generate revenue.
I got a bit sidetracked but I havenā€™t seen ads in years but that doesnā€™t mean itā€™s not regional or they are not bringing them back. But I have heard of people installing an add-on that gave them ads.

Most of us use Stremio with Torrentio. What are you using with Torrentio?

1 Like

Well thatā€™s pretty much it. I donā€™t run many stremio add-ons. I use Stremio for Android/Google TV, I use Torrentio and set it up with RD and PM and have never seen any ads in about the last 3 years.

Full disclosure I do remember seeing a banner ad but years ago. I uninstalled that version of stremio installed the newest version of stremio at that time and did not see any more banner ads after that. Inquiring on their Reddit site was told that there would be no ads at that time but they may come back later.

They must do something with information harvested but I havenā€™t looked in to them enough to know what and how just that they claim on their Reddit site that they do not and that the platform is currently free and AD free. I just remember thinking it was pretty odd they were owned or run by what read like people who also created an advertising company but they havenā€™t officially used ads in years.

So if a person right now is seeing banner ads, according to stremio itā€™s not from them.

So if we believe Stremio and I found with my conversations with them and the mods on Reddit they are fairly trustworthy, then itā€™s got to be a third party add-on. Or perhaps that particular version of Stremio was not downloaded from the official site.

I can say that I know if I was seeing ads on my Stremio I would be deleting and reinstalling the official Stremio APK and resetting up official Torrentio and going from there.

Wow, thatā€™s a little scary, then!

Yeah little bit and the worst part is thereā€™s a person on this site going around giving advice to people about Stremio who is running a corrupted version of streamio due to downloading unofficial add-ons more than likely and he is willing to private message you his setup so you can possibly get infected as well. According to one of the siteā€™s moderators Iā€™m not allowed to call him out for it and help other people that apparently he is potentially doing this to.

I am running an official Stremio app. Stremio - Freedom to Stream. I mentioned the ads were rare and I havenā€™t seen any recently. As for giving advice in pms, yes I do that and my advice is spot on. I only use approved adons and from the official addons site. I thank you for your constant attention. I find it endearing if not just a little creapy. But it seems to be your MO. So have a good day.

1 Like

Ad blockers work too good . I had one that blocked some addons and web sits as well . I would get a pop up saying " turn off add blocker " with add blocker installed . Turning off the blocker didnā€™t make much difference . I still had trouble . It was a pain in the a*s for me .

I used to use Blokada at one time but it frequently disconnected, so I started using AdGuard with better results. I have no issues regarding Real Debrid.

1 Like

Does SurfSharkā€™s Clean Web work if only installed on the router?

Hello @DCT213 unfortunately no, you must use the app for that feature.

Thanks Troy. Will I still be able to use Wireguard?

I use an older version of Cinema and get no ads. Saved me last night too when RD was down.

Happy streaming