FS Updates Disabled - is this a problem?

I managed to disable updates on my FS 4K Max in time so I could continue to use the Wolf Launcher, which I like even though Launch Manager does not work any more.
So my FS has stayed on OS 7.2.5.5 and I guess Apps controlled by Amazon have not been updated either. I have no idea what
benefits the updates would bring or the issues that would be solved if I restored updating.
As it is the FS is working fine for me and I’m of the school “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of a website where the details of the OS versions are described? Presumably this info is available to app developers.

3 Likes

I removed Wolf launcher and launcher manager. I then re-enabled everything in the TDUK Unified debloat Toolbox, and then allowed my 4K Max to update as needed. It is now 7.2.8.5 and this adds some feature changes and patches any security holes in the OS. My Max runs flawlessly as do all the apps I use and my external storage. All developer options are still there. I now have the stock home page but have turned off all the auto play Amazon crap and as I don’t sit there staring at the Amazon home screen but go straight to using my stick to stream TV content, which is what I bought it for, who cares what’s on their home screen. btw you can go onto amazon.com and search for version changes and what was added/modified/removed.

3 Likes

My fire stick still has updates blocked and everything still works fine. @Miki and I have opposite schools of thought here. I really don’t care about the Amazon updates and “security patches” that he highly values. All the apps that I use can be manually updated because none of them are from Amazon. I agree with you, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

3 Likes

Allways good to have different points of view. I’m a bit of a security freak and if the dam leaks I patch it before it fails. All my apps are set to update manually as well the only auto update is the Amazon stuff. No adverse affects after all updates for me.

1 Like

Haha different opinions from two folks whose views I respect. I think I’ll stick with what I have until one day it doesn’t work any more and I have to rebuild. To each his own & keep on streaming!

4 Likes

If you are using non amazon app you will be okay, anything on netflix pime and all others can be found pretty easily.

Mine works pretty good with the updates but im lazy and my wife uses it more than me.

Also don’t worry about security updates on a stick, as long as younare using verifed apps you wont have issues. Dont put payment options on your stick. These security updates dont protect you at all if someone actualy has your ip adress. But thats nothing to concerne yourself with. Scan for malware and adware weekly, keep updates blocked as long as you need to. If you ended up unblocking note that apps and stuff will work fine.

3 Likes

I “assisted” UK Tech Doc in the creation of the DeBloatware tool versions 1 thru 5. Previously I had been manually closing Updates & a few other proprietary processes & applications on the Sticks using ADB.
The DeBloatware tool was a collaborated effort which we began after I had asked him a few questions thru emails & we came up with the idea to create the tool.
On subject, 1 of the 10 or so Sticks I help relatives with which had not been updated in over a year lost all sound. By reversing all changes within the tool, (I love how Doc made this such an easy check box) & updating, all sound returned. Then we rechecked the cancel updates & went to ES Explorer to uninstall back to factory specs any processes & apps which had returned to updated size. After that procedure, we rechecked all the boxes previously checked & ran the tool.
Where there are for the 4K (I have yet to touch a Max) 93 processes & apps to checkbox, I recommend only 78 of them as 2 should not be closed & the rest the result is non-effective. In the list I supplied to Doc, I had given him the 78 total maximum but thru his “Group” they discovered 93 possibles.
Personally, I fully update my last 3 remaining Sticks every 6 months or after it has come to my attention that a major update happened like which happened last week.
As an “Elderly” retired full cord cutter with hobbies, I moved on to the NVidia Shield Pro’s & the Google O/S on Sony Bravia Smart TV’s X90J & X95J which are a joy.

2 Likes

When I re-enabled the unified debloat tool after all updates and including 7.2.8.5 I believe I had only 63 selections that actually worked, but I didn’t record each one. This on a 4K Max.

1 Like

I had zero input into the new unified tool. I also haven’t touched any of the new 4K Max Sticks to know. My knowledge ends at the 4K Stick & I believe DeBloatware tool 1-5 ?
It is my understanding the Unified Tools are a Tech Doc “Group” endeavor which I never became a part of. I even backed away from 4Chan & the Reddit groups dedicated to streaming, scraping sources & such.
Reason is son & I expanded the muscle car restoration & car shows. Even have the 08 Shelby Mustang convertible GT500 for sale now since the economy is crashing & we will be looking to make purchases.

After spending hundreds of hours helping create the tools & expanding each after updates created new apps & processes, I became bored & moved onto the NVidia Shield Pro’s & now the Google O/S on Smart TV’s.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.